cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get an apartment in NYC with a prior judgment? Am I out of luck?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get an apartment in NYC with a prior judgment? Am I out of luck?

My credit score is 620 and probably by September it will be 650. Who knows.

Anyhow, the thing is... I have a prior judgment from an apartment from 2012. It's marked as paid and full on all 3 reports and I have a good explaination and proof that I wasn't evicted... just that my roommate broke the lease (long story), but when landlords see judgments, they automatically think "Eviction". I know because I work for a management company and see people who have judgments. Although, I'm just the Web Manager, and Marketing person. I still know a bit. The managers where I work, will work with tenants with past landlord issues as long as the explaination is good and the remaining credit is in good standing. I get advice from the Tenant managers and they tell me that New York is strict about it. Simply because its so many factors that they go through when it comes to real estate. However, they said that I should be okay and to just try.

Well, I am moving to NYC in September for a career move. And I am looking for apartments... and most of the apartments are saying GOOD CREDIT AND NO FILINGS, EVICTIONS or JUDGMENTS! Even the apartment in the rough neighborhoods reads that.

I'm getting scared, and feel I may not be able to get an apartment because of that mistake.

I have about $11,000 in my savings... but I am not about to put anything like that down as a security deposit. One guy, told me that he will work with me but I will need to give $8000 for security deposit. The rent is $1950 a month. Although I will be making about $5300 a month. However, that's not an acceptable security deposit. Considering the fact that the rest of my credit is Pretty decent.

What are my options?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
stellar
Established Contributor

Re: Trying to get an apartment in NYC with a prior judgment? Am I out of luck?

You can always look on craigslist for people wanting a roomate.  That will give you time to settle in to the city and a job without stressing over apartments. 

You can also try calling an apartment finder service, I'm sure you're not the only one in NYC that had a judgement or eviction. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a tough market... low vacancy rates, high rents, and a lot of applicants for available apartments.  So it's not really that landlords and management companies are being actively strict, but that there are so many applicants for desirable apartments that they can pick off the top of the list. 

Some brokers will work with you and probably know which landlords you'd have a better chance with.  If yours aren't helping, find others.

I'm going to second the advice to initially try to find a roommate situation.  That will also give you the opportunity to pound the pavement (not sure how familiar you are with nyc) and figure out which neighborhoods you'd like to live in.  There are huge differences in character, available transportation, etc.  There are still a lot of old school landlords that put up "apartment available" signs and there's still some value in finding out when garbage day is and chatting up building supers especially outside of Manhattan. 

If you intend to stay long term, do try to find a rent stablized apartment.

Message 3 of 9
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Unfortunately with less than stellar credit, the way to get into an apartment is to pre-pay 6 months or even a year.  Or have a guarantor (usually parents); their credit and assets will be examined.  You also need to keep in mind that a lot of landlords have salary requirements which is usually 40x monthly rent.  So even if you can afford to pay $1950, you might not be considered if you don't make at least $78,000/year.

I agree with the others that your best bet is to look into a roommate situation. 

Message 4 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Wow, I've not really seen ads say that before but I don't live there. It's tough to determine what you can do. You would think there is someone out there who would be understanding of your situation within your range. Definitly keep searching. Hopefully you find something.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

The roommate does sound like the way to go.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 9
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the career move. Sorry about the predicament your in. On a personal note, you couldn't pay me enough to move to NYC :-)

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can Airbnb initially until you find something decent.  Take a look at this community also as it might be a bit expensive but they are lenient when it comes to credit - https://www.avaloncommunities.com/about-us

I used them a few years back and had a good experience.  The roommate option as someone suggested is also something you should look into.  I am not a fan of craiglist personally  but if you are confortable you can try finding a roommate there.

If I were in your shoes, I'd use https://www.onradpad.com and or something similar.  A Start-Up just launched in New York [ went through Tech Stars] and they do renting in new York exclusively where they actually vet and run background checks on your roomie..  Don't remember the name of the company but will try to find it and post it.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Avalon in nyc is more than "a bit" expensive.  I looked at Avalon West Chelsea and Avalon Clinton last time I got a bug up my behind about moving.  One bedrooms were around $3800 and $3500 on those.  I decided to remain in my rent stabilized but comfortable hovel and put the money away for a house. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.