Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized Inquiry Reported--CREDCO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unauthorized Inquiry Reported--CREDCO

Before I contact anyone, I am hoping to get your advice on the best way to handle this. 

I received a new 'inquiry alert' this morning from both EX and MF for an inquiry I did not authorize. The alert shows an inquiry on EX on 10/26/17 by CREDCO requested by Southern Nevada Auto Sales for an 'auto loan' I did not apply for.

I do not have business with a company called Southern Nevada Auto Sales. In fact my only auto loan is through Capital One Auto since April 2017. 

Since I am rebuilding from Ch 7 (dc 2/17), I am very "hardpull conscious" and want this inquiry removed. I already have over 13 inquiries thanks to salesman at Ford Motor Co requesting loans at every loan company under the sun in a period of 2 weeks back in April 2017. 

What is the best way to handle this to get this unauthorized inquiry removed from my credit file? Should I call CREDCO first or Experian?

Btw, I can't find any contact info for a "Southern NV Auto Sales" so my hands are tied until I talk to CREDCO on Monday.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Unauthorized Inquiry Reported--CREDCO

There are two general options.

One is the more comprehensive deletion of the inquiry from your file, while the other is its block from any appearance in your credit report.

FCRA 611 permits a consumer to dispute any item of information in their file which is inaccurate.  The CRA must then conduct a reasonable reinvestigation of the assertion and either verify its accuracy, correct so as to overcome the inaccuracy, or if they can do neither, delete from the consumer's credit file.  That results in a determination on the merits as to its accuracy.  If the CRA verifies and the consumer still disagrees, the consumer can then pursue their own private civil action, and get further judicial review.

The basis for an asserted inaccuracy would be violation of FCRA 604, with showing that the party who made the inquiry lacked permissible purpose.  

As an alternate, the consumer can seek block of the inquiry from their credit report without a formal investigation of its accuracy or any involvement of the inquiree.  If the consumer files a police report that swears that he or she never authorized any transaction that would permit a credit inquiry and sends that police report to the CRA along with proof of their identity, the CRA is required to block that inquiry from any further credit report under the identity theft provisions of FCRA 605B.

The section 605B process is simpler and avoids any involvement of any other party, and results in removal of the inquiry from the consumer's credit report, and thus scoring.  If you wish a more comprehensive deletion from your credit file, you should begin by filing a formal dispute with the CRA contesting the permissible purpose of the inquiry.

Message 2 of 6
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Btw, I can't find any contact info for a "Southern NV Auto Sales" so my hands are tied until I talk to CREDCO on Monday.

They operate as 'Open Lot Used Car Sales' in Las Vegas. openlotcars.com 702-816-5900

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 3 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor

I would suggest keeping your reports frozen at all times until you need to app for a product or service. It takes 5 minutes to unlock them (with a PIN) in times of need, and will help battle fraud... which this very well may be.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did u look for the.(phone #
any information on ur credit report? If not there call the Credit Bureau that is reporting that inquiry and get that information from them then at the same time you can dispute that with the credit bureau Plus you can also send the auto company a letter of dispute, and state that u did not give any Authority of any kind to run your credit hope this helps
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I appreciate the advice and will cross my fingers getting it removed will not cause any headaches. 

@Anonymous wrote:
Did u look for the.(phone #
any information on ur credit report? If not there call the Credit Bureau that is reporting that inquiry and get that information from them then at the same time you can dispute that with the credit bureau Plus you can also send the auto company a letter of dispute, and state that u did not give any Authority of any kind to run your credit hope this helps

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.