Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected hard inquiry from CBC Innovis

tag
axxy
Regular Contributor

Unexpected hard inquiry from CBC Innovis

Score Watch alerted me to a hard inquiry from CBC Innovis.  I suspect it's probably some kind of error.  Maybe it was supposed to be a soft inquiry, but Score Watch somehow misinterpreted it?  Does this happen often?  Has it happened to anyone else reading this?  Is there any way to get more details from Score Watch, to find out why they think it's a hard inquiry?  Why would CBC Innovis put a hard inquiry on anyone's Equifax credit file?  Isn't it another credit bureau?  If they're trying to compare their data with Equifax data, to debug their database or something, shouldn't that be a soft inquiry?

Or does CBC Innovis actually put real hard inquiries on people's credit files?  Do they do it even when you don't apply for credit?  Shouldn't the inquiry say what kind of credit application they think you made?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unexpected hard inquiry from CBC Innovis

@axxy wrote:

Score Watch alerted me to a hard inquiry from CBC Innovis.  I suspect it's probably some kind of error.  Maybe it was supposed to be a soft inquiry, but Score Watch somehow misinterpreted it?  Does this happen often?  Has it happened to anyone else reading this?  Is there any way to get more details from Score Watch, to find out why they think it's a hard inquiry?  Why would CBC Innovis put a hard inquiry on anyone's Equifax credit file?  Isn't it another credit bureau?  If they're trying to compare their data with Equifax data, to debug their database or something, shouldn't that be a soft inquiry?

Or does CBC Innovis actually put real hard inquiries on people's credit files?  Do they do it even when you don't apply for credit?  Shouldn't the inquiry say what kind of credit application they think you made?

CBC Innovis does do mortgage pulls and likely other things as a proxy for lenders as I understand it.  I'd take a look at my report and see how it was coded, may be legit or may be something you might want to take care of though admittedly an inquiry is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.  Think my scoreable inquiries all drop off this month, if I even get 5 points I'll be surprised, it'll probably be an unnoiticed blip on my report.  If yours is a prettier report (not hard to accomplish) an inquiry may count more admittedly.

For all the benefit of MyFICO reports, it's not the same as looking at the real bureau data unfortunately: third party sanitization always loses resolution on the data.

        
Message 2 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you have not initiated a request for credit or insurance with them, or you have not initiated a business transaction with them that brings about a need for them to review your credit, I would be hard-pressed to come up with a permissible purpose under FCRA 604 that would permit them to access your credit report with another CRA.

FCRA 604(c)(1)  prohibits a CRA from issuing a credit report to any party with which the consumer has not initiated a request for credit or insurance unless the consmer has specfically authorized the inquiry, or the transaction consists of a firm offer for credit or insurance (a so-called promtional offer for credit).

In making any request for a consumer's credit report, the requestor is required to file a statement of their permissible purpose.

As a consumer, you are entitled to request any information of record in your credit file under the provisions of section 609(a)(1).

It might be interesting to get their statement of permissible purpose, and see what subsection of section 604 they beleved gave them permissible pupose to obtain your credit report......

Message 3 of 11
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

They pulled me as a collection agency as they posted a new collection account (mid last year).

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 4 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@TheGardner wrote:

They pulled me as a collection agency as they posted a new collection account (mid last year).

Strange, as Innovis is not a CA.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 11
hmefferd
New Visitor

Can anyone help me with this?

I had a hard inquiry on my credit report from a local bank for a loan and then a week later, another hard inquiry from CBC/Innovis for credit granting(same local bank as week before). I have never seen this before so just wondering what this is about.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Should only be one pull, I'd contact your bank and ask them why they pulled and then had a 3rd party pull.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 11
wowchad
New Contributor

I had the same thing on my CR this month from CBCINNOVIS and found out it was from a new policy with Progressive. Just thought I'd post my experiances so the forum woiuld be more informed. Chad

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The same happened to me!! Somebody knows the information of this agency or company? The address and the phone number please of   CBC Innovis?? Thanks!!!

Message 9 of 11
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

This site should help.
https://www.cbcinnovis.com/consumer-assistance.html

Why does CBCInnovis show up as an inquiry on my credit report?
When a CBCInnovis client requests a copy of your credit report through our system, the inquiry may display as CBCInnovis. If you would like to know the name of our client that requested a copy of your credit report, please contact us.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.