Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown charge on AMEX Blue

tag
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

Unknown charge on AMEX Blue

Early this afternoon, a charge popped on my AMEX iPhone app for a $200 charge from a local sporting goods store. I haven't been there in years, so I immediately suspected a fraudulent charge. I called AMEX and they cancelled my current card, and are sending a new one out.

I've only had this card for a couple of weeks. How in blazes did someone already get my CC number to run a fraudulent charge? From the transaction notes, it looks like it was online charge bought from the store's website. I had a debit card from my CU for years, and only had one fraudulent charge in that entire span of years. Of course, since the Blue is a cash back card, I've started using it everywhere that takes AMEX to get my rewards. But I'm basically using it at the same places that I had been using my debit card...

My last question regards the relative newness of my AMEX account. Is AMEX going to be suspicious that a new card holder has a fraudulent charge on his shiny, brand new card?

FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unknown charge on AMEX Blue

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

Early this afternoon, a charge popped on my AMEX iPhone app for a $200 charge from a local sporting goods store. I haven't been there in years, so I immediately suspected a fraudulent charge. I called AMEX and they cancelled my current card, and are sending a new one out.

I've only had this card for a couple of weeks. How in blazes did someone already get my CC number to run a fraudulent charge? From the transaction notes, it looks like it was online charge bought from the store's website. I had a debit card from my CU for years, and only had one fraudulent charge in that entire span of years. Of course, since the Blue is a cash back card, I've started using it everywhere that takes AMEX to get my rewards. But I'm basically using it at the same places that I had been using my debit card...

My last question regards the relative newness of my AMEX account. Is AMEX going to be suspicious that a new card holder has a fraudulent charge on his shiny, brand new card?

Nope, Amex's are one of the top stolen credit cards on the dark market. They have really good systems in place to stop suspicious activity and alert you immediately if something happens. They can investigate the report if need be to prove it's legitimacy, but they usually take your word at face value until you give them a reason not to. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

It's possible they'll sideeye you. I had to replace my gold so they overnighted it, but I never got it, so they overnighted another one. Still didn't get it. When I called back in to request another one they accused me of trying to use it at a gas pump without activating it. I asked them why the hell would I do that. After some back and forth they reluctantly sent another one, which I didn't get, until my neighbor came over with the envelope....

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

If you use it for gas at the pump, that's where your card number could be stolen so quickly.

Message 4 of 9
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner I've seen this term (side eye) before, but have no idea what it means. It seems like you're saying they'll throw up arbitrary roadblocks to getting my card back. It's supposed to here by Tuesday...

@rsmy1234 Yes, I did use at the pump. Dang, do I have to go inside every time I buy gas? Ugh.

FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner I've seen this term (side eye) before, but have no idea what it means. It seems like you're saying they'll throw up arbitrary roadblocks to getting my card back. It's supposed to here by Tuesday...

@rsmy1234 Yes, I did use at the pump. Dang, do I have to go inside every time I buy gas? Ugh.

Its a good practice to follow if your gas station doesn't have newer pumps with mobile pay/contactless functionality so you can avoid sliding your card in the pump and the possibility of your card info being captured by a skimming device.

Also, gas station pumps tend to put large pending charges "holds" on Amex cards; but if you go inside and use the same card there's no hold. I've seen holds as high as $160 - $200 for gas charged directly at the .pump.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The holds happen to me here. If I’m just getting gas, I’ll use Disco at the pump. I’ll use Amex if I’m also going inside for a coffee and I’ll pay for it all there. Around here, Amex automatically gets a $100 hold and I don’t like that.
Message 7 of 9
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

It’s important to be able to identify skimmers and inspect the gas pumps before putting in your cars. ATM machines too. Google provides some good data.
Message 8 of 9
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

Gas pumps will usually have a sticker showing that the credit card thing hasn't been tampered with. I always check to make sure it's a legit machine before sliding my card. Definitely Google some gas pump safety tips so you can better educate yourself. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.