Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**Updated**NFCU & Collection/CR Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I am soooo angry right now! I mean mad. And disappointed. And sad.

MODS: I know this post covers several areas, so if you think it fits better in a different category, please move it.

I am, quit literally, exactly one week away from 92 days with NFCU, and was so excited to get to push the cli button that I've been waiting 3 months for. Well, guess what? I get an alert today that my EQ FICO 8 dropped from 630 to 598!!! Reason being, two collections that had been removed came back. Both collections are invalid, and shouldn't have been re-added.

One is from Convergent collection agency claiming a debt from Cox Communications. I disputed it several months ago because I didn't owe any debt to Cox, and it was removed. I did an online chat (I always try to use chat for record keeping purposes), with Cox tonight, and the rep again confirmed that I have/had no outstanding balance with them. He suggested I just ignore the CA; obviously, he knows nothing about credit. They also have no record of of the collection or collection agency, so they can't/won't offer assistance with that.

The other one is from ERC for Direct TV. It was a valid debt at one point; I forgot to return a receiver when I moved a few years ago. It initially showed up last year, and when I saw it, I opened a chat with Direct TV. On the chat, they said to mail the receiver in, and they'd clear the account balance. So, I did. And the collection disappeared a couple of months later, but I also disputed it. When I saw it back on there today, I initiated another chat, and the CSR promised to have it taken care of within 5 days, so we'll see. 

So, I have a few questions:

Should I re-dispute these items? How many times can one dispute an item? Are they allowed to just put things back on my report after they were removed?

Will NFCU give me a cli with a 598 score? Everything else is good; my DTI and UTL are quite low, my NFCU card has a zero balance. If I try, and get denied, how soon can I try again? If my score went back up the next day, could I theoretically get one the day after a denial?

Can anyone explain why EQ is allowed to continue functioning with what appears to be severe mental illness? When these two items were removed, I saw a 9 point increase, total. When they're reapplied, I get a 32 point drop?? I'm betting my score won't rebound by 32 points when I have them removed again. I could be wrong, but I'd take that bet.

Any other advice for what to do about this?

5 REPLIES 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU & Collection/CR Questions

Hi @Anonymous, I've moved your thread to 'General Credit' to get you some feedback regarding the resurrected collections.

If it were me, I would hold off on seeking a CLI with NFCU until this is resolved.

--UB

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks UB!

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA permits the dismissal of a second or subsequent dispute as being "frivolous or irrelevant" if it is substantially the same as a prior dispute.

A consumer cannot simply refile a dispute and receive another investigation/reinvestigation.  There also is no adminstrative appeal process for challenging a verification of a dispute.

A dispute is defined as not being substantially the same if it provides substantive new information not previously provided.

A CRA is not allowed to verify without reasonable basis.

Your remedy, if they verify and you still disagree, is via the courts.

You have specific authorization under FCRA 623(c) to file a private civil action contesting the reasonableness of any reinvestigation determination made by a CRA.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

The FCRA permits the dismissal of a second or subsequent dispute as being "frivolous or irrelevant" if it is substantially the same as a prior dispute.

A consumer cannot simply refile a dispute and receive another investigation/reinvestigation.  There also is no adminstrative appeal process for challenging a verification of a dispute.

A dispute is defined as not being substantially the same if it provides substantive new information not previously provided.

A CRA is not allowed to verify without reasonable basis.

Your remedy, if they verify and you still disagree, is via the courts.

You have specific authorization under FCRA 623(c) to file a private civil action contesting the reasonableness of any reinvestigation determination made by a CRA.

I don't fully understand what your saying about subsequent disputes. The Direct TV one, was admittedly an error or their part for not clearing the account when they were supposed to. They said that they're going to fix it, so I'll let that play out. But it seems like a dispute would be in order if they don't. 

As for the other one, I disputed it, and the CA removed it themselves. But they apparently sold it to someone else, who has relisted it. So, I don't have anything new to add to a dispute (Cox said last time that I left my account in good standing with them, and said the same a couple of days ago), but it doesn't seem okay for a new CA to get a pass just because I disputed the debt previously with a different company. 

Did I misread your advice?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update. I got one of the items fixed, still working on the other, but should be able to get it removed.

Although I should have, I was entirely too impatient to wait to click the cli button. Pushed it early yesterday morning, got the dreaded 24 hr message. It`s now been over 24 hours, and still no word; I even sent a secure message right after the 24hr message with pay stubs. I guess all is not lost until they say denied, but I'm losing hope.

So, what do I do? Apply for another card from them, of course! Did it about an hour and a half ago. And, amazingly, they approved me for a new Platinum! It wasn't an instant approval, it went to 24hr review, too, but when I checked the status about 45 min later, it changed to approved!

So, even though I suspect the cli request is going to be denied (still have some hope, though), at least it won't be a total loss...

Edit: cli was denied Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.