Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization really does matter

tag
sarchin
Valued Member

Utilization really does matter

Good morning everyone! I know utilization is 30% of your score but I guess I didn't realize the impact it had on my scores. Before I took out a loan to pay things down my FICO scores averaged in the 670 range at 45% utilization.  When my utilization got down to 8% my scores went up considerably EQ 708, TU 726, EX 744.  The results were even better on the Vantage 3 model.  I know Vantage 3 isn't worth much but it had been depressing to see my scores around 635.  On Credit Karma my scores shot up 68 points on TU and EQ.  I always dreaded checking Credit Wise from Capital One but this morning TU skyrocketed 89 points!  Too bad it doesn't mean much in the real world but it was great seeing that anyways.  Even more surprising is how much my scores improved even though I have a new personal loan, opened four cards, closed 12 cards, 10 inquiries and I'm around 55% owed on my car loan.  From now on it's PIF unless there's an absolute emergency/need not to allow that.  

It's nice to see hard work and dedication to credit pay off, but now it's time to let time do it's magic and age everything appropriately.

Many, many thanks to all the contributors, and posters here at MyFico.  The information and help we get on these forums is absolutely the best.  I've learned tons, been able to relate to what some people have going on and found inspiration from the posts I have read.

Starting Score: ~670
Current Score:~684
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Utilization really does matter

@sarchin wrote:

It's nice to see hard work and dedication to credit pay off, but now it's time to let time do it's magic and age everything appropriately.

It is indeed a great feeling to see hard work pay off, congratulations on your accomplishments thus far, wishing you continued success and the best of luck staying in the garden!

Message 2 of 12
sznthescore
Established Contributor

Yes, this forum is the best. Congratulations on your score boost! 🎉 I'm excited just reading your post as my utilization is going from 70% to 1%. The confirmation and inspiration I needed. Can't wait til next month to see the results. 

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 3 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

With all the formulas out there that makes up FICO. Its amazing getting higher up in the util % range how much damage it does to a score. Congrats on making the right moves to turn it around. I agree time is your best friend now. Congrats!

Message 4 of 12
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific!  Glad you've seen an increase!

Message 5 of 12
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Congratulations!

I did something similar in 2017. DH and I took out a cash-out refinance on our mortgage. Dropped our interest rate from over 7% on the mortgage to 3.25%, opted for a 15 yr mortgage which trimmed two years off the life of the mortgage, to boot. We used the $ to pay off every one of our credit cards, trimmed the cards we didn't ever want to see again and our scores skyrocketed out of the 600s. We've never looked back. 

For us, it was quite literally life changing. Hope you experience the same!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 6 of 12
mgood
Valued Contributor

Utilization is the main thing I see moving my score up and down.

I don't have any baddies, so as long as my inquiries and new accounts don't get too out of hand, utilization goes down, score goes up, utilization goes up, score goes down.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 778, TU8 766, EX8 770 as of April 23
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

AZE4 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 4/12, 7/24
Message 7 of 12
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

going through the same thing right now, paying our last 3 cards down through the different utilization thresholds and watching our scores fly up

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $40,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000/WELLS FARGO AUTOGRAPH $8200 CL /

SOCK DRAWERED/ FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER $3000 SL/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700
Message 8 of 12
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Im trying to do the same and get down under 10% overall, currently bouncing around 12%-16%

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Message 9 of 12
babbles
Established Contributor

Good for you!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.