Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to close out Credit One

tag
Dhani76
New Contributor

Want to close out Credit One

If account is closed by consumer, does that reflect negatively on the credit reports?

Starting Score: 621
Current Score: TU 685 EQ 687 EXP 699
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Want to close out Credit One

It will change your utilization, so it depends on how much total debt you have compared to your total available credit. The act of closing the card itself though will have no impact.

Message 2 of 8
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@Dhani76 wrote:

If account is closed by consumer, does that reflect negatively on the credit reports?

Its better to be closed by consumer than credit grantor. Save yourself the fees and close it, if it wont negatively impact your credit file.

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 3 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Scoring doesn't care who closed the card, but it's always nice to close on your own terms. From your other recent thread, we know that you're carrying some credit card debt right now, so utilization might be impacted. But Credit One limits tend to be low, meaning that the impact could be little to nothing.

I think the bottom line is that these cards are a big headache. If you feel like closing the card, close it.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The impact will be of reducing available credit and number of open accounts, etc. It will probably drop your score by a bit due to increased utilization and other factors that FICO considers, but if you have several other accounts open and this one only takes a tiny portion of your available credit then there's not much to worry about.

Message 5 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

As the Joltdude would say, "Everytime a Credit One is closed, an Angel gets its wings"Smiley Happy Thats right Susie, thats right!Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree! Whatever it may cost your score closing out credit one is better than keeping a card you will pay tons of fees on. Also in my experience closing out cards that weren’t for the long haul is better when you are trying to pay off excessive debt. Good luck on your choice!
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Scoring doesn't care who closed the card, but it's always nice to close on your own terms. From your other recent thread, we know that you're carrying some credit card debt right now, so utilization might be impacted. But Credit One limits tend to be low, meaning that the impact could be little to nothing.

I think the bottom line is that these cards are a big headache. If you feel like closing the card, close it.

Agree but to the bolded, while that particular action wouldn't negatively impact the score on its own, if the OP was sitting across the desk from a loan manager trying to get an installment loan (car, mortgage, personal loan, etc.), it might not look as good to that decision-maker when reporting an account as "closed by credit grantor" vs "closed by consumer".  As Heaven/Ohio alluded to though, it's highly unlikely a credit card issuer or most other revolving account credit grantors give much of a crap or even makes a note of it, but having recently closing on my house I can attest to the fact I had to explain anything and everything out of the ordinary on my report.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.