Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Credit Card Hacking!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird Credit Card Hacking!

Last year, I opened a Credit One account to help rebuild my credit to purchase our house.  I didn't have any issues at all with it.  This week, I tried to log in to access my account online and my user name and password would not work.  I went to reset my password and it required me to put in my full SS#, credit card #, expiration date and 3 digit code from the back of the card.  When I accessed my account, someone had made a payment of $386.79.  I double checked my bank account to make sure I hadn't clicked the wrong payment amount the last time I made a payment.  I had not.  So, I called the credit card company this morning.  She asked for my social security # and the credit card #.  When she went to verify my address and phone number, it didn't match.  While I was speaking with her, I tried the new user name and password I had set up yesterday and it wouldn't work again.  I created a new one and pulled up my account information.  Someone had changed the address, phone number and email address.   It is so weird to me how someone was able to make all those changes when the card is with me.  Credit One closed out the account this morning.  But, what concerns me is that someone was able to make all those changes.  I wouldn't think it was malicious since they paid my balance.  But, you never know.  Other than closing that card, what else should I do?   Anyone else ever experience anything like this? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weird Credit Card Hacking!

That is very strange indeed. 

Message 2 of 17
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Google that address and find out who lives there.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You appear to be a victim of what used to be sold as a "cob" or change of billing product, in the fraud world. Essentially thanks to hacks & data leaks (like Equifax) people gather up enough information about you so as to be able to call a lender and change your billing & contact information so when they press a fake copy of your card & use it at a store the fraud verification department would call the (thief provided) contact number instead of you to verify the charge - in the event the alert was triggered at all.

Contact All you banks & lenders requesting new cards with new numbers, change all your login information to unique passwords for every site (just write them down. The risk of someone breaking into your house and stealing passwords is zero) and enable 2-factor authentication on every site that supports it. Other than that the best you can do is stay vigilant
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry that happened to you! It almost happened to a friend of mine, but her bank caught on and called her on another line as they had the person trying yo take over her card on hold.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did trace the phone number and it's registered to someone in Tennessee.  The address they changed to is in Toledo, OH...

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

What threw me off was the fact that they paid off the balance of $386.  The card only has a $400 limit!

Message 7 of 17
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What threw me off was the fact that they paid off the balance of $386.  The card only has a $400 limit!

Perhaps they were hoping to keep the util down until they could request a CLI?

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

File a police report they will try again, and also could it be a friend/family member doing this? I only say that because you say it wasn't malicious because of the payment they made but that too me is still malicious intent. Good luck!
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I did trace the phone number and it's registered to someone in Tennessee.  The address they changed to is in Toledo, OH...

Not surprising, Toledo Ohio of all places.... What was the street name, Ill tell ya how junky the neighborhood is.. seriously pm me or post it. I would get a kick out of it!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.