cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Do Creditors Think When They See an Applicant with 25+ Credit Cards?

tag
Regular Contributor

What Do Creditors Think When They See an Applicant with 25+ Credit Cards?

In addition to that, they see that they're isn't much activity on them as well?

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: What Do Creditors Think When They See an Applicant with 25+ Credit Cards?

Probably YMMV. But some have way more than 25 cards so it could depend on what the whole file says.. If you're clean, and not too many recent for example, I see no difficulties.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@10022016 wrote:

In addition to that, they see that they're isn't much activity on them as well?

It depends on the lender.

My impression is that big banks could care less about that so long as the the stats and scores and income are good.

But from personal experience I can tell you that credit unions don't like it. The biggest reason I get turned down by credit unions is that I have too many accounts. I was recently turned down by a credit union for that reason when the FICO score they pulled was an 827.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey SouthJ!  Are you certain that their issue was too many accounts.... and not too many recent accounts?  The latter is definitely an issue for some institutions.  I think you have told me that you pretty much always have many inquiries and also a number of new accounts.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going with the too many recent accounts. 

Message 5 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey SouthJ!  Are you certain that their issue was too many accounts.... and not too many recent accounts?  The latter is definitely an issue for some institutions.  I think you have told me that you pretty much always have many inquiries and also a number of new accounts.

I'm not 100% certain but I don't think they made reference to the newness of the accounts.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a ton of cards SouthJ.  It got me wondering... how many of those actually make it into your wallet?  Do you pick a MC, Visa and AMEX you like and only carry the three or do you have a massive wallet that lets you carry 26 cards around?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.