cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What constitutes permissable purpose for a soft inquiry?

tag
credit99

What constitutes permissable purpose for a soft inquiry?

Hello Everyone!  I have learned so many new things here and all your posts have been extremely helpful to me. Quick question.  Is it legal for a hospital to do a soft pull of your credit report if you slipped on oil in their cafeteria and were injured?  This is really bothering me.  My son was having surgery at Duke University Medical Center and I slipped in the cafeteria on oil that had spilled and had not been cleaned up.  I ended up dislocating my knee and tearing ligaments.  A security officer came and collected all my info (including my SSN#) and I was in so much pain I gave it to him. They then rolled me off to the emergency room for treatment.  Needless to say I paid for the emergency service I received from them but I am very unhappy they had the nerve to pull my credit report.  Is this normal?

Message Edited by credit99 on 06-13-2008 07:26 PM
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
aftermath
Established Contributor

Re: What constitutes permissable purpose for a soft inquiry?

They were probably preparing to get sued by you. They most likely checked your credit to get a feel for who you are (lots of lates = irresponsible), and use a bad credit report to use against you in court to discredit your testimony. Just my theory.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 2 of 18
credit99

Hi - Thanks for your reply.  My credit is pretty decent and I don't have any lates.  I did not sue them and I paid them everything I owed for my emergency room visit and my son's surgery.  So does this mean they had a permissable purpose to pull it as I certainly didn't authorize them to do so?
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit99 -

Did they do a pull before or after you paid your bill?
Message 4 of 18
credit99

Before I paid the bills.  They are slow to bill there.  Didn't get the bills until January.  They pulled it on the day after I was injured.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It certainly sounds unusual. I am not sure if it is legal, but I presume because they did provide a service without immediate payment that they can get away with it. Since it is only a soft it is not something to dispute, but I do think it was nerve-y on their part. I am sorry you had that happen to you. You could call in and ask for an explanation - especially considering they are lucky you didn't sue.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Soft pulls do not count against you at all.
Message 7 of 18
aftermath
Established Contributor

@credit99 wrote:
Hi - Thanks for your reply. My credit is pretty decent and I don't have any lates. I did not sue them and I paid them everything I owed for my emergency room visit and my son's surgery. So does this mean they had a permissable purpose to pull it as I certainly didn't authorize them to do so?

You should really consider contacting an attorney and sue them. If you slipped and fell on a spill on their premises and sustained injuries, they are liable to cover all costs of injuries occurred due to the mishap.

Hey you never know, maybe you can settle outside of court, and even have them cover the costs for your sons surgery.

Flex your legal rights.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no PP for soft pulls...in that case...OPT OUT...and they should not be able to do this...now if it was a hard pull...then you should worry...
Message 9 of 18
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Dang!!  If that happened to me & they had the nerve to send ME the bill...I'd have been on their doorstep letting them know what's ahead if they didn't make that bill disappear!

That takes BRASS ones...for sure! 

If someone was injured on MY property, I'm liable for their medical bills...that's why I have homeowners Ins.  You are injured on their property...it's their place to pay.  No matter where you live.

*I am now climbing down from my soapbox.....
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.