Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does balancing account mean?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does balancing account mean?

I have read a few articles about balancing accounts. Saying having 4-6 cards would be good. Can anyone shine light on this subject.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What does balancing account mean?

Are you refering to debit cards or credit cards? 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dunno. I feel more balanced at 40-60 cards.

Chris.
Message 3 of 10
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have read a few articles about balancing accounts. Saying having 4-6 cards would be good. Can anyone shine light on this subject.

Kind of depends what you're reading about...  I'm going to ASSUME that you are reading about credit scores.  If I am correct, then "balancing" your accounts refers to having a mix of installment loans, credit cards, auto loans, and / or mortgage accounts listed on your credit report.

There isn't a "perfect" ratio that I'm aware of, but having several types of credit looks better to lenders (and your credit score) than having only one type of credit.

Hope that helps!  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like the amount of tradelines open. So websites i have come across had said you should open 2 more cards to balance your accouts.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Kind of depends what you're reading about...  I'm going to ASSUME that you are reading about credit scores.  If I am correct, then "balancing" your accounts refers to having a mix of installment loans, credit cards, auto loans, and / or mortgage accounts listed on your credit report.

There isn't a "perfect" ratio that I'm aware of, but having several types of credit looks better to lenders (and your credit score) than having only one type of credit.

Hope that helps!  Smiley Happy

Ok i think that makes more sense. I believe it said "you need to open 2 more cards to balnance your accounts."

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be aware that many credit websites just talk about Vantage Scores, not FICO scores.  Vantage Scores are useless for credit, they're just for entertainment purposes.

When it comes to FICO 8 scoring, you can maximize your score by:

1. Having 3 revolving credit accounts of any age
  2. Preferably having 5 revolving credit accounts that are all 24 months of age or older
  3. Having at least one installment loan open
  4. Having the remaining balance due on ALL installment loans be less than 8.9% of their original balances (aggregate)
  5. Not have ANY history of a "consumer finance account" type installment loan

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Be aware that many credit websites just talk about Vantage Scores, not FICO scores.  Vantage Scores are useless for credit, they're just for entertainment purposes.

When it comes to FICO 8 scoring, you can maximize your score by:

1. Having 3 revolving credit accounts of any age
  2. Preferably having 5 revolving credit accounts that are all 24 months of age or older
  3. Having at least one installment loan open
  4. Having the remaining balance due on ALL installment loans be less than 8.9% of their original balances (aggregate)
  5. Not have ANY history of a "consumer finance account" type installment loan

Thank you for the Info!!  But what is "consumer Finace account?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Subprime predatory installment loan usually from a lender with "Finance" or "Financial" in their name but not always.

Furniture store loans are often these bad loans which actually hurt your FICO score.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add 1 more thing to ABCDs 5 points above, implementing the AZEO technique on your revolvers is also highly recommended for scoring maximization.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.