Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What scores ACTUALLY count?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What scores ACTUALLY count?

I've been browsing the forums & see a large number of different scores being talked about (such as equifax fico, transunion fico, etc) and know of creditkarma, vantagescore, and more. What score should someone look at to get the most accurate representation of their credit? Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What scores ACTUALLY count?

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been browsing the forums & see a large number of different scores being talked about (such as equifax fico, transunion fico, etc) and know of creditkarma, vantagescore, and more. What score should someone look at to get the most accurate representation of their credit? Thank you.

Your FICO scores are the ones you want to watch.  There's a couple different versions of them, however, so you'll want to know which ones you want.

Equifax

• BEACON 5.0 (used by nearly all lenders) - available on myFICO.com
  • BEACON 9.0 (newer scoring model, however, seldem used by lenders) - available only from a lender

TransUnion

• Classic 98 (FKA Empirica 98) (used by some lenders) - available on myFICO.com
  • Classic 04 (FKA Empirica 04) (used by majority of lenders) - available only from a lender

There is also a TU08 score that is only available if you have a line of credit with Walmart, however, it isn't actually used by any lenders, so it's useless.

Experian

• Fair Isaac Risk Model (used by nearly all lenders) - available only from a lender

Any score available online claiming to be an Experian credit score is a FAKO score, and useless.

Please note many lenders also have their own internal scoring models that aren't available anywhere.  Different types of lenders may value certain areas of your credit more than others, so they might view you as a higher or lower risk than your FICO scores may show.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Your FICO scores are the ones you want to watch.  There's a couple different versions of them, however, so you'll want to know which ones you want.

Equifax

• BEACON 9.0 (newer scoring model, however, not used by any lenders) - available only from a lender

TransUnion

• Classic 98 (FKA Empirica 98) (used by a majority of lenders) - available on myFICO.com
  • Classic 04 (FKA Empirica 04) (also starting to be used more by lenders) - available only from a lender

There is also a TU08 score that is only available if you have a line of credit with Walmart, however, it isn't actually used by any lenders, so it's useless.

Experian

• Fair Isaac Risk Model (used by nearly all lenders) - available only from a lender

Any score available online claiming to be an Experian credit score is a FAKO score, and useless.

Please note many lenders also have their own internal scoring models that aren't available anywhere.  Different types of lenders may value certain areas of your credit more than others, so they might view you as a higher or lower risk than your FICO scores may show.

That is VERY helpful. Thank you very much. Just to sum up, the only scores I really need to worry about are (Equifax 5.0 & TU Classic 98) available from myfico, correct? Thanks again..much much appreciated. Btw..a mod might want to sticky this because I am sure there are more people with the same question I had. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That is VERY helpful. Thank you very much. Just to sum up, the only scores I really need to worry about are (Equifax 5.0 & TU Classic 98) available from myfico, correct? Thanks again..much much appreciated. Btw..a mod might want to sticky this because I am sure there are more people with the same question I had. 

For the most part, yeah, watching your EQ and TU98 FICO scores on here will give you a pretty accurate picture of where you're sitting credit-wise.

You can also pull a free report from each of the major credit bureaus once a year at annualcredireport.com (you'll also get a report when you purchase a score on here automatically).

Message 4 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'd suggest that you also take a few minutes to read the credit scoring 101 thread located here, it should be helpful:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Frequently-Requested-Threads/td-p/10675

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Equifax

• BEACON 9.0 (newer scoring model, however, not used by any lenders) - available only from a lender

whether credit card enhanced or not Discover uses beacon 9.0 so this is factually inaccurate

TransUnion

• Classic 98 (FKA Empirica 98) (used by a majority of lenders) - available on myFICO.com
  • Classic 04 (FKA Empirica 04) (also starting to be used more by lenders) - available only from a lender

That's pretty much misinforming ... being that mortgages pretty much use 04 exclusively and I have yet to hear about any TU from cc pulls matching 98 either

Message 6 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
TransUnion

That's pretty much misinforming ... being that mortgages pretty much use 04 exclusively and I have yet to hear about any TU from cc pulls matching 98 either

Yes, that is true that TU04 is pretty much the standard for mortgage lenders......There are still lenders that pull TU98 for CCs, NFCU does for example.......

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would agree more lenders use 04 than 98, hence why I changed it.  Thanks for pointing it out though, I would have forgotten to edit that post, haha.

There's still quite a few CCC that use 98 though.

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The score that actually counts is the one that your creditor/business uses as part of their decision-making.

Message 9 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The score that actually counts is the one that your creditor/business uses as part of their decision-making.

+1

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.