cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where should I be getting my scores from?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where should I be getting my scores from?

This is probably a very basic question but where is the place I need to use to pull my official FICO scores from? When finally pulling them —after years of neglect—I used Trans Union (through my cap 1 card) and then created free accounts with Experian and Equifax. But is there a better, more official place?

Should I pay for them from places or trust these places?

Happy New Year!
12 REPLIES 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Where should I be getting my scores from?

$1.00 at Experian.com or creditchecktotal.com. You'll get 3 bureau FICO 8 scores. Cancel in 7 days or less to avoid re-occurring monthly charge.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! Thank you! I’m just wanting to check my scores to be extremely sure with a few things.

Thanks again!
Message 3 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

You're welcome. 😃
Message 4 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If you want regular updates, you can sign up either on Experian/CreditCheckTotal (same company) for around $30-$35 a month or here on myfico for between $30-$50 a month. The biggest difference is that myfico provides you ALL different versions of your scores, whereas EX/CCT only provides a few different versions.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 13
Trudy
Valued Contributor

FYI, you'll likely notice if you pull all 3 scores from Experian for $1, that TU through Cap1 do no provide a FICO score, its Vantage 3.  Equifax provides their own proprietary score, not a FICO.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all again! I will definitely get to looking at the official ones...I wonder how similar the ones I already have will be with the FICO but I guess we will see.

Thanks again!
Message 7 of 13
satio
Frequent Contributor

You can get complete reports without scores from annualcreditreport.com for free once annually.

If you have any derogatory accounts (charge offs, collections, etc) these reports will give you concise information for date of first deliquency and expected fall of date. 

For Experian if you don't need regular monitoring, you can initiate the $1 trial account, cancel within 7 days, rinse, and repeat as recommended by others.

MyFico subscription and updates can lag a little behind the actual CRAs themselves in terms of daily updates but you do gain the benefit of the other score types if that is of interest to you.

In the beginning of my credit rebuild and recovery I must admit overkill and micro management with multiple subs to different CRA products which I dropped once I got past 670.

Message 8 of 13
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

I like CK just to watch for changes as they seem to update pretty frequently. Their scores are pretty meaningless but can give you a hint if you're on the right track.

Discover gives free fico8 once a month even if you arent a cardholder.

I really like myFico. You get all the different score models and detailed breakdowns of everything.

Message 9 of 13
babbles
Established Contributor

@ Trudy, loving those scores!   Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.