cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit report and score is the best to pay to get? Which includes the most items?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which credit report and score is the best to pay to get? Which includes the most items?

Hi, just trying to save a little money here. Which credit report typically has the most things on it? Also which credit score TU or the other? Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Which credit report and score is the best to pay to get? Which includes the most items?

Which report has the most on it varies.  I may have a ton of stuff on my EQ but someone who lives on the east coast may not.  It depends on the creditors and which CRA they use.

The scores from the CRAs mean nothing.  You need a FICO score. 

I would get the FICO for the CR I pulled.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which credit report and score is the best to pay to get? Which includes the most items?

Thanks but for us who are new to this can you please explain what CRI means? Also, the credit report scores are different than a FICO score? I am thinking of applying for a personal loan so would they look at the FICO score? I have looked on many of the topics but can't find these answers. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

CR = credit report.

The scores that are bought from the CRAs are based on their formulas.  Those scores are not FICO scores and are not looked at by creditors.  Many, many times, the differences in these scores and a true FICO score can be immense.  For example, TU may show you have a score (based on their formula) of 650 but, FICO says you have a 590.  The 590 is what lenders/creditors will use. 

You can purchase your EQ and TU FICO scores, along with reports, here on myFICO.  They can also be bought at Equifax.com and Transunioncs.com.  EX no longer sells their FICO scores to the consumer.

I would buy my scores here but get my report directly from the CRAs.  Reports directly from the CRAs are more detailed.

You can get a free one from each CRA once a year at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I hit the buy your FICO score they ask which one, Transunion or Equifax. Isn't that the same score that you are given from them then?

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you buy their FICO score, yes, it is the same one.  But if you just buy their score, no it is not.

You can't just buy the score from them, you need to buy the reports also.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

My opinion.

Forget credit scores until you first clean up your credit files.

Again, in my opinion, the best credit report you can get, showing the most detailed information in your credit file, is also, ironically, the only free one available.

Under the FCRA, you are entitled to one free CR annually from each of the CRAs,  To assure compliance with this requriement of law, the three CRAs set up a web site, accessible at annualcreditreport.com.  It is a non-commercial site, if you are careful.

Just log on (limit, one report per CRA per year), and get your instant, and full, free, CR.  DONT bite on their offers for an accompanying credit score.  They charge for that.

With a little reading on this site, you will know, without having a three-digit credit score in hand, what is hurting you the most, and what to direct your attention to.

My advice is to get the best CR, at zero cost.  Worry about the scoring of those reports only after you have cleaned them up, and then maybe not until you are ready to actually apply for new credit.  You score means nothing more than mental lubrication until such time as you need it for a real credti decision.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.