Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which score is used when renting??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which score is used when renting??

My wife and I are building an addition on our current home, however, we need to rent a place to live for a year.  There are year long leases, however, I am worried that we might not gett approved.  I have been working on my credit for the last couple of years...doesnt seem to be where I think it should be, but those questions are for another board and post.  ha ha.  Anyway, which score is typically used when a management company or lender looks at your credit for renting a house/condo/apartment?  Thanks in advance.  

6 REPLIES 6
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Which score is used when renting??

I'm not sure of a particular score that's used for renting. 

When I moved into my current apartment they pulled TU FICO 8.

There will be other members here to give you their experience as well.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 7
blindambition
Senior Contributor

There isn't a standard model used. You can ask leasing manager. While they may not know model, chances are they will know CRA.

Message 3 of 7
vertekal
Regular Contributor

When I got an apartment a few years back, they pulled FICO 8. I don't recall from which credit bureau. 

They generally don't use a middle score like for a mortgage .. just the score from whatever bureau they use. 

FICO 8:
EQ: 1/2018: 494 | 4/2021: 652 (+158)
TU: 1/2018: 536 | 4/2021: 657 (+121)
EX: 1/2018: 499 | 4/2021: 641 (+142)

Mortgage Scores:
EQ: 9/2020: 560 | 4/2021: 648 (+88)
TU: 9/2020: 564 | 4/2021: 649 (+85)
EX: 9/2020: 576 | 4/2021: 672 (+96)

Message 4 of 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Agree with everyone else, there is not a score model that is used by all management companies. I have seen reports of FICO 8 as well as V3. And the CRA used is also company specific. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

When it comes to rentals they aren't particularly interested in just the score but how you manage finances, and whether you're risk based on obligations. as long as your report shows that you do not have lates and that your income shows you can afford said place you should be fine. As for score I beleive anything above 650 is suitable, high the better of course. When mine was ran I think I was somewhere around 680 at the time as I had just bought a car and apped some other credit. Not to mention I didn't have much credit at the time.

Message 6 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

As others have said it will always depend on the system the management company is using, and VS3 is common in that sector because it's usually cheaper than FICO models.  While I am sure there are exceptions, they are most likely not looking at scores as a deciding factor but the presence of recent derogatory info and particularly the presence of any previous derogatory info pertaining to leases.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.