Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Should I Call?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who Should I Call?

Good morning all,

This is my first forum post and I hope you all can provide some clarity. When I go into my credit report, I scroll through the accounts because I feel like there may be some inaccuracies. As you all know the account show you what was reported by each agency but I see some late payments that I'm sure are false. Do I call the agency reporting it or do I call the creditor? Ex: MyFICO is reporting a former creditor, that I paid off and, as a negative account. Since I paid off the balance in full and never was charged off (I just decided I didn't want the card anymore) I'm  trying to figure out why it's negative. All agencies reported a 30 day late payment on June 2019, however, I have no other late payments in the history of me having that credit card. Should I be calling the creditor or the agencies? 

Curve ball: MyFICO reports, from all agencies, that my last late payment was 20 months ago, but again, I have a late payment reported by all agencies in June 2019 and I paid the remaining balance off and closed the account in April 2020.

Please advise and thank you for your assistance.

Scores: Equi-662 Trans-652 Exp-648

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who Should I Call?

@Anonymous wrote:

Good morning all,

This is my first forum post and I hope you all can provide some clarity. When I go into my credit report, I scroll through the accounts because I feel like there may be some inaccuracies. As you all know the account show you what was reported by each agency but I see some late payments that I'm sure are false. Do I call the agency reporting it or do I call the creditor? Ex: MyFICO is reporting a former creditor, that I paid off and, as a negative account. Since I paid off the balance in full and never was charged off (I just decided I didn't want the card anymore) I'm  trying to figure out why it's negative. All agencies reported a 30 day late payment on June 2019, however, I have no other late payments in the history of me having that credit card. Should I be calling the creditor or the agencies? 

Curve ball: MyFICO reports, from all agencies, that my last late payment was 20 months ago, but again, I have a late payment reported by all agencies in June 2019 and I paid the remaining balance off and closed the account in April 2020.

Please advise and thank you for your assistance.

Scores: Equi-662 Trans-652 Exp-648

@Anonymous I would recommend a direct dispute with the lender first.

The 30 day late is the negative. If it's incorrect, have the creditor fix it. If that route does not work, then you dispute with the credit bureaus. Either way, both times send it certified mail return receipt requested with documentation and copies of what you sent. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum by the way and good luck!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Under federal law, they cannot report a payment as thirty days late until it is actually thirty days late. 

This is designed to prevent people from getting credit damage due to an honest mistake, although it still can trigger late fees from the creditor.

If you paid before the 30 days were up, then this should not be on your credit report, otherwise there's really not much you can do.

Message 4 of 5
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

Post removed due to misread!

Good luck, call the card holder and check! 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.