cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do some closed accounts continue reporting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why do some closed accounts continue reporting?

Not trying to get rid of those accts, there are 3 accounts on my credit report, closed with BK, however those 3 are still updating every mounth. This is what I am questioning. They are reporting -0-. debt incl in bk, however I question whether these 3 accts updating every month are causing more damage to my CR. All others Inc In Bk, either dropped off or no longer repot/update. Just these 3. When I pull my CR on my fico, these 3 show up as negative accounts, the others do not. They stopped reporting years acct when the accts were involved in BK.  Bk was closed over 2 yrs ago..mo

What is the purpose of these 3 accounts reporting everymonth when there is no balance due and they were involved in BK and closed.

Message 11 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

Why would you want to get rid of closed positive accts? If they are in good standing, closed/paid ....let them report for the full 10 yrs. Its only helping you, not hurting you! 

But is it helping?  I'm not suggesting they are hurting, but what benefit would there be (profile or scoring wise) of a closed account continuing to report?  I mean if it's closed it's closed, right?  A closed account can either be positive or negative.  So, if it's positive (perfect payment history) it's already viewed as a positive account so I'm not sure what continued reporting on a closed account would accomplish.

Message 12 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know, I never found a concrete answer. Was actually thinking of posting this question again in the BK forum, because going for a mortgage soon and need to clean some things up here. I think this is soley a bk issue, so hoping somewhere over there might have an answer this time. 

I don't think can be soley a BK issue as I've never had a BK and am experiencing this on multiple accounts?

Message 13 of 40
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not trying to get rid of those accts, there are 3 accounts on my credit report, closed with BK, however those 3 are still updating every mounth. This is what I am questioning. They are reporting -0-. debt incl in bk, however I question whether these 3 accts updating every month are causing more damage to my CR. All others Inc In Bk, either dropped off or no longer repot/update. Just these 3. When I pull my CR on my fico, these 3 show up as negative accounts, the others do not. They stopped reporting years acct when the accts were involved in BK.  Bk was closed over 2 yrs ago..mo

What is the purpose of these 3 accounts reporting everymonth when there is no balance due and they were involved in BK and closed.

These are negative accts. They were IIB, and wont drop until the DOFD...Its not hurting you by them updating it, as long it its $0 bal/IIB it wont matter.  

If they start updating with changes, and reporting balances etc...then thats a different story, and Id hop on that so fast,  like if they are reporting late monthly after your file date, which they cant report anymore after that, then thats  a problem.

I have 6 IIB accts still reporting, and my DOFD was in 03/2012.  Those accts wont drop off my report until 2019.  A few of them update monthly, but still remain $0/bal and IIB  which is the main thing. Im not wanting them to drop off before then either, they are my oldest accts dating back to 1999/2000, and if they were to drop off now off my reports, my AAOA and AHOA would plummet, making my scores tank.

Those negative accts are whats keeping my AAOA a float now with all my new accts over the last few years in rebuilding.  Even negative/closed accts count in your AHOA. Smiley Wink 

Sure itll make your reports look cleaner, but right now, Im not touching my IIB accts.  

Message 14 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why do some closed continue reporting?

Pizza1. I have to agree. Touching these accounts that are updating monthly would crush my score since they are some of my oldest accounts. Just couldnt figure as Brutal pointed out, why if closed do some still report/update monthly. Very Confushing. I am afraid to touch anything right now. Took a huge score drop in Sept and still can't figure out why. Lost total of 62 pts between the 3 bureaus. Only thing I could find was two cards had reported, but never recovered so that's not it. Hence, why I was jumping on this train, thinking, hmmmm, could it be this, the 3 cards still updating every month, but that could open a bad can of worms and like you said, cause them just to drop the acct sending score down after losing aged accounts. My hunt continues for the cause. 

Message 15 of 40
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

BBS: every computer system has bugs, and that's probably just what happened here.

If they're reporting as positive tradelines just take the money and run.  Also it would help to know where you are seeing this: EX for example while everything looks to be OK's just like the rest of them, looking at the date headers they're different years and I don't have what you have going on, DOLA is clearly on the close date.

TT if you have closed accounts still showing 2016 OK's but on closed tradelines with a DOLA back in the past I don't know what to say honestly Smiley Happy.

        
Message 16 of 40
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

This account was closed in 2009 for non-use. It kept reporting either OK or ND until Sept 2012 when it finally reported Closed. I get the age advantage for 3 extra years.

neiman.jpg

FICO 08:Jan 18, 2017: EX 800 EQ 725 TU 799
FICO 08:Feb 10, 2017: EX 788 EQ 772 TU 791 (post New Year's app spree)
In the garden as of 1/4/2017. Will remain for all of 2017.
Message 17 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the above example, but I'd like to make clear that this isn't what's going on with my file.  You basically said your account was closed but didn't report as being closed for another 3 years.  All of my accounts in question reported closed immediately after being closed, yet still continue to report monthly even though they are closed.

Message 18 of 40
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Post the report snapshot, this discussion is at cross-purposes at this point.

        
Message 19 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cross-purposes?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

sears.jpg

Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.