Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst 8400 I've spent in a while

tag
Hortilux
Valued Member

Worst 8400 I've spent in a while

So I've been working on my credit in general and decided to pay off the remainder of my student loans,which the remaining balance was $8,400. I use this site and the credit karma app as well. The credit karma app lowered my score by 22 points and also changed my length of open account avg to an F. My student loans (8 of them) were all 6-9 years old and added a lot of account history. It alsat spy's I have no open installment loans anymore which I take is a bad thing. I'm kicking myself thinking I should of kept paying the minimum and milked them for another 5 years. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Worst 8400 I've spent in a while

Credit karama provides FAKO scores so they can be ignored as well as the advice they give to improve them.  PIF'ing any loan as always a good idea even if you loose some FICO points.  Focus on the main issues on your CR to improve your FICO score. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 10
Hortilux
Valued Member

I understand, but my main problem is AAoA and paying them off just got rid of my 8 oldest accounts.

Message 3 of 10
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

It is still better for the long range goals, even if short term suffers to pay off your debts. The Fico algorithm also factors in longevity of minimal debt as well.It just does not seem to effect the scores as rapidly. It's kind of like keeping your car clean, do it weekly instead of annually and you don't notice it so much.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Hortilux wrote:

I understand, but my main problem is AAoA and paying them off just got rid of my 8 oldest accounts.

FICO still calculates your closed accounts for AAoA.   Your AAoA didn't change as far as FICO is concerned.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Hortilux wrote:

So I've been working on my credit in general and decided to pay off the remainder of my student loans,which the remaining balance was $8,400. I use this site and the credit karma app as well. The credit karma app lowered my score by 22 points and also changed my length of open account avg to an F. My student loans (8 of them) were all 6-9 years old and added a lot of account history. It alsat spy's I have no open installment loans anymore which I take is a bad thing. I'm kicking myself thinking I should of kept paying the minimum and milked them for another 5 years. Smiley Sad

As Marty said ignore the CK scores and advice. CK only factors open accounts into AAoA whereas FICO includes both open and closed accounts. FICO also includes closed accounts into your credit mix.

And I also agree with Dave that you won't lose the AAoA or credit length history on those paid off, closed accounts.

And last but certainly not least paying down/paying off debt should always be your #1 goal.

Message 6 of 10
ceejx
Established Contributor

@Hortilux wrote:

To add to MarineVietVet and DaveSignal, these accounts will remain on your credit report for 10 years from when they are paid off... 

Message 7 of 10
FrugalRican
Blogger

You are doing a LOT of worrying over a LOT of nothing.

A bunch of people wish they were in your position, right about now.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

You are doing a LOT of worrying over a LOT of nothing.

A bunch of people wish they were in your position, right about now.

This!!!

Even if your score drops a little bit, think about that debt you just got off your shoulders. I'd be willing to let my score drop a couple of points if it meant that all my loans were PIF'd and I didnt owe anyone money anymore. 

Message 9 of 10
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

My DGF owes 76.2k

I think she would gladly traid you. 

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.