Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chargeoffs/collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

chargeoffs/collections

If i have chargeoffs/collections; how would payment in full differ from settling the account as far as our credit reports go?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: chargeoffs/collections

From what I understand,  a settled for less would have a little more adverse impact than a Paid in Full. But if your score is already tanked than honestly a few more points less doesn't mean alot.  
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If i have chargeoffs/collections; how would payment in full differ from settling the account as far as our credit reports go?

FICO doesn't care a bit if you try and make good on a past debt.

With live humans considering you for credit cards and other credit, YMMV. I've read quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that prime credit card issuers and banks do view a paid charge-off a bit more favorably than settled, which in turn is viewed just a little more highly than open. But for the most part, the damage is done. Unless you can get a PFD, I wouldn't waste time or money settling a past debt.

When rebuilding credit, looking toward the future is always more productive than worrying about the (unchangeable) past.
Message 3 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

The glitch has been fixed... paying a collection should no longer hurt your score.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tuscani wrote:
The glitch has been fixed... paying a collection should no longer hurt your score.

[wiseguy voice]

Yeah, but it still ain't gonna help nothin' either. You wanna throw money away, at least take it down to the track and bet on the ponies. You might actually get somethin, knowwhattimean?

[/wiseguy voice]

Message Edited by TheNewWorldMan on 05-21-2007 05:34 PM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.