Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

excessive AMEX soft pulls

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

excessive AMEX soft pulls

Hi all, first post. Been glued to this site for hours each day for about the last 6 months. 

Anyway, I just pulled my eperian report a few minutes ago and noticed, what seems to me, an absurd amount of soft pulls from AMEX. They pulled me 15 times since June, sometimes in consecutive days IE: 9/21, 9/22, 9/23. Should I be worried? Read alot of AA stories.

I opened the card (BCP) at the end of May with an SL of 1800. at 61 days 3X to current CL of 5400. This was my first prime credit card. Previous cards were Cap One Platinum (PC'ed to QS) and dreaded Credit One and First Premier (both happily closed).

Since then I have opened up Chase Freedom and Freedom unlimited (both 4k SL's).

So, I guess I am wondering if Amex is worried about the 2 new accounts in such a short amount of time, or if this amount of soft pulls is normal for them.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: excessive AMEX soft pulls

Well they are SPs, sometimes used to determine future CLIs or add prequalified cards when you check.  As long as you're not running up balances you should be fine.  I too have a lot of SPs from a few banks, but i don't worry because EVERY SINGLE one of my cards reports $0 every statement.

How many cards do you have total? and what are the limits/CLs?

I think you're fine Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just updated my sig. to include cards and limits.

My utility crept up to 31% last month (this is natural spend but normally don't let them cut with high balances). direct result of low overall CL's. Amex cut at 60% but was PIF after statement cut. I payed/paying everything before cut this month so I should see a nice bump in my score shortly. Unfortunately I use all of my cards quite regularly so its almost impossible to pay off to report 0 balance due to pending charges always being present. I put virtually all of my spend on my cards which comes to about 5-7k per month, if I let this report it ends up driving my utility way up. Can't wait to get better CL's!

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

ideally, you want to report $0 on all cards but one.  You can change your due dates on your cards to meet your needs and pay to $0

All my cards, and i mean all my cards have a due date of 28th and statements cuts on 3rd

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response.

That would be ideal! I have tried this approach but with my wife and I using the cards daily it seems that if I pay to zero right before the statement cuts, one of my pending charges posts right in time to make it on the statement. Oh well, as long as they are small balances, I guess.

A little off topic. I am still showing a Pre Approval (not an offer) for the CSP. I really want this card as well to be able to transfer my UR's from CF and CFU to United. Won't be taking a trip until mid next year, but it is calling my name! Should I get it over with and then head into the garden, or am I pushing my luck with AMEX seeing too many new accounts? What do you think?

Message 5 of 28
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

inthesticks, what's your wife's card situation like?

And regarding the pulls, do they show a purpose, e.g. account review, promotional, etc.?

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your response.

That would be ideal! I have tried this approach but with my wife and I using the cards daily it seems that if I pay to zero right before the statement cuts, one of my pending charges posts right in time to make it on the statement. Oh well, as long as they are small balances, I guess.

A little off topic. I am still showing a Pre Approval (not an offer) for the CSP. I really want this card as well to be able to transfer my UR's from CF and CFU to United. Won't be taking a trip until mid next year, but it is calling my name! Should I get it over with and then head into the garden, or am I pushing my luck with AMEX seeing too many new accounts? What do you think?

You only have 4 cards total right? and got them in the past 24 months (2 years)? Chase has a rule called 5/24, which means that if you have applied for 5 or more cards in previous 24 months, you will be denied.

HOWEVER, people have been getting approval on this card by going to the Chase branch and talking to a credit person. They can see if you have a prequal.  These people getting approved at the Chase branch have reported having over 5/24 and getting approved. As to the "get it over with now" question, it wont hurt to get it now, spend $4k in three months and get the 50k URs and have them there ready for next year.

If im correct, you're at 4/24...i would just go into the branch and see what they have to offer.

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio i don't know how to quote. 

My Wife is AU on all of my cards and only has the Chase Amazon in her name. We do have a joint mortgage and car loan as well. 

The pulls only say that they are by "American Express 2" There is another soft pull by them too under "American express" no purpose stated.

@c00mtg.

Correct, I only have 4 cards. 3 are recent since late May and the QS was PC'd but is 6 years old. so I am only 3/24. My concern is if I add yet another new account in such a short time frame that I might spook AMEX into doing something I might regret, like AA or FR. I just don't know how many new accounts in short time is too many. Do you think I would be safe with adding one more and then laying low? Also, I'm in northern Vermont, no chase branch for hundreds of miles! Actually not much of anything...

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My Wife is AU on all of my cards and only has the Chase Amazon in her name. We do have a joint mortgage and car loan as well. 

The pulls only say that they are by "American Express 2" There is another soft pull by them too under "American express" no purpose stated.

@Anonymous.

Correct, I only have 4 cards. 3 are recent since late May and the QS was PC'd but is 6 years old. so I am only 3/24. My concern is if I add yet another new account in such a short time frame that I might spook AMEX into doing something I might regret, like AA or FR. I just don't know how many new accounts in short time is too many. Do you think I would be safe with adding one more and then laying low? Also, I'm in northern Vermont, no chase branch for hundreds of miles! Actually not much of anything...

To quote, click the "Reply" button on the comment you want to reply to, then on the next screen, click on the "quote" button then start typing at the bottom of the line.

You should not get AA or FR as long as you dont exaggerate your income when applying for cards or do anything stupid with them.  I have 5 AMEX cards in total, so you can have more than one.  Just in October (this month) i applied and approved for 2 AMEX CCs, 1 US Bank CC, 1 NFCU CC and NFCU CLOC (5 accounts).

I think you should be fine, so long as  you can provide proof of income (if asked by AMEX or others).

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous.

To quote, click the "Reply" button on the comment you want to reply to, then on the next screen, click on the "quote" button then start typing at the bottom of the line.

You should not get AA or FR as long as you dont exaggerate your income when applying for cards or do anything stupid with them.  I have 5 AMEX cards in total, so you can have more than one.  Just in October (this month) i applied and approved for 2 AMEX CCs, 1 US Bank CC, 1 NFCU CC and NFCU CLOC (5 accounts).

I think you should be fine, so long as  you can provide proof of income (if asked by AMEX or others).

Ha, Got it! Thanks for the Quote tutorial. That is a lot of cards in just one month, guess I don't need to worry. I am being honest with my income and can provide proof if asked. 

I will wait until my new utility % posts to the CB's and pull the trigger on that CSP. Then it's off to the garden I go, I hope...

Thanks for the confidence booster, I feel much better now.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.