cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fraudulent charge on Cabelas CC equals another HP

Valued Member

fraudulent charge on Cabelas CC equals another HP

WFB the issuer for my Cabelas card called to inform me that I was over my limit this morning. I said That's impossible and they said a charge of $527 was made at a college bookstore..I of course said that's a fraudulent charge. They transferred me to fraud department and the lady there said they have to close and then reopen my account which involves a new hp? ?

1 October Eq 750

NFCU nRewards 25k, USAA MC 19k, USAA MC 16k, Cabelas 9k, Jeep MC 8.5K, Chase Mil Star 12k

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES
Community Leader
Legendary Contributor

Re: fraudulent charge on Cabelas CC equals another HP

They should not hold you accountable for the charge if you did not authorize it.  I hope they remove it.

 

If they are doing an internal review of your account, they should not code an inquiry such that it reports as a hard pull.  Again, I hope they dont.

 

If they are persistent in reporting the unauthorized transaction to the CRAs, you can initiate identity theft procedures to make them provide evidence necessary for you to establish that it was not yours.  Keep us posted.  If that happens, come back for info on how to compel information from them, and thus not be put in the catch-22 position of having to "prove" a negative.

Meanwhile, it would be prudent to file a police report, alleging identity theft based on the unauthorized transaction.  A police report will ultimately be necessary should you have to pursue the deletion of this information under the provisions of the FCRA.  Take a peek at FCRA 609(e).

Message 2 of 10
Mega Contributor

Re: fraudulent charge on Cabelas CC equals another HP


rak320 wrote:

WFB the issuer for my Cabelas card called to inform me that I was over my limit this morning. I said That's impossible and they said a charge of $527 was made at a college bookstore..I of course said that's a fraudulent charge. They transferred me to fraud department and the lady there said they have to close and then reopen my account which involves a new hp? ?


You need to speak to an executive there about this, there should be no HP for them to close out fraudulent card and issue a new card.




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 10
Valued Member

Re: fraudulent charge on Cabelas CC equals another HP

I asked her about the HP and she said they had to ensure I was still creditworthy...the more frustrating part is that the fraud charge put me over the CL by a few bucks. The CL was $2500, I was going to PIF on Monday, but hopefully all will be resolved once I get the fraud packet on Wednesday and fax it back. Besides the HP this shouldn't be a negative mark on my CR right?
1 October Eq 750

NFCU nRewards 25k, USAA MC 19k, USAA MC 16k, Cabelas 9k, Jeep MC 8.5K, Chase Mil Star 12k

Message 4 of 10
Mega Contributor

Re: fraudulent charge on Cabelas CC equals another HP


rak320 wrote:
I asked her about the HP and she said they had to ensure I was still creditworthy...the more frustrating part is that the fraud charge put me over the CL by a few bucks. The CL was $2500, I was going to PIF on Monday, but hopefully all will be resolved once I get the fraud packet on Wednesday and fax it back. Besides the HP this shouldn't be a negative mark on my CR right?

It depends on how they report it. If I were you i'd be livid with their executive office for even questioning my "creditworthiness" when the fraudulent charges are no fault of mine!




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 10
Established Contributor

Re: fraudulent charge on Cabelas CC equals another HP

I have either lost my card or had my number compromised with my BOA, Discover, and Citi cards, and I've never had a hp to have a card reissued. Creditworthiness should not even be an issue!


Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge







Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
Mega Contributor

Re: fraudulent charge on Cabelas CC equals another HP


dharalex wrote:
I have either lost my card or had my number compromised with my BOA, Discover, and Citi cards, and I've never had a hp to have a card reissued. Creditworthiness should not even be an issue!

Yea i think thats a load of BS the rep is trying to feed!




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: fraudulent charge on Cabelas CC equals another HP

I have had 5 CC with fraudulent charges in the last few years. Always easy to tranfer the account and no Inq on credit reports.

 

It is really simple: if they want to close the account and transfer it to another to protect themselves, it should not hurt your credit.

Message 8 of 10
Valued Member

Re: fraudulent charge on Cabelas CC equals another HP

Ill will see this week, ill pull my Eq and see.
1 October Eq 750

NFCU nRewards 25k, USAA MC 19k, USAA MC 16k, Cabelas 9k, Jeep MC 8.5K, Chase Mil Star 12k

Message 9 of 10
Valued Member

Re: fraudulent charge on Cabelas CC equals another HP

Pulled EQ and no HP, the first lady I talked to must of been clueless. I paid a hefty sum of my balance today, but did not PIF because they should credit my account once the fraud charge is cleared right?
1 October Eq 750

NFCU nRewards 25k, USAA MC 19k, USAA MC 16k, Cabelas 9k, Jeep MC 8.5K, Chase Mil Star 12k

Message 10 of 10