Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get an 800+ credit score

tag
Jrobertson1998
Established Member

how to get an 800+ credit score

Hello, everyone this is my first post on this account, I am on a journey to get an 800+ credit score by the end of 2023. I have been building my credit up for the past year and my credit score now is in the 740s. I have only a few accounts 4-5 accounts primary accounts, ranging aroung $4000-$9000 and I am an authorized user on about 3 CC accounts, ranging around $4000-$11000. I have an account(s) with Discover, Bank Of America, Goldman Sachs (Apple Card), and Synchrony Bank (PayPal 2% Cashback Card)(Verizon Visa), have about 3 years and 6 months of average age, and I am an authorized user on Citi, Capital One, and Chase cards. My Data Points is this 100 on time payment history, about 8-9 accounts, under 10 percent utilization, 0 inquries, 0 auto loans, personal loans, or mortgage. To everyone who has acheived an 800+ credit score, tell me what led you to an 800 and also what were some of your data points as well to acheive this.

17 REPLIES 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: how to get an 800+ credit score

800+ is easy with enough time (so setting deadlines might not be ideal).   Basically if you 

a) always pay on time and in full

b) don't apply for new cards or hard pull CLIs

as the accounts age along with a perfet payment history, and any prior baddies fall off, you will reach 800 easily enough.

Some here will suggst adding loans to the account mix, endless requesting of soft pull CLIs, always doing AZEO etc, but that is not really necessary

Message 2 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And you should also question WHY you want an 800+ score.   It won't get you anything that say a 780 score would

Message 3 of 18
phantasm
New Contributor

Account age, always paying in full, and low utilization per card are key factors. P2 has one card, but had it for 20+ years, always PIF, and always < 2% utilization. FICO 840. 

Starting Score: 800
Current Score: 836
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@phantasm wrote:

Account age, always paying in full, and low utilization per card are key factors. P2 has one card, but had it for 20+ years, always PIF, and always < 2% utilization. FICO 840. 

Right. I don't include utilization because if you are a PIF perrson anyway, at any point you really need the high score, you can just pay in full before the card reports (or AZEO if you must, but just when you need it).

Message 5 of 18
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

800+ is easy with enough time (so setting deadlines might not be ideal).   Basically if you 

as the accounts age along with a perfet payment history, and any prior baddies fall off, you will reach 800 easily enough.

Some here will suggst adding loans to the account mix, endless requesting of soft pull CLIs, always doing AZEO etc, but that is not really necessary

^^^^ This

My youngest daughter has 830 ficos

No loans

3 cards, average age 4 1/2 years

Oldest 7 yrs, newest -- 6 months

Just takes a little time

Message 6 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Jrobertson1998 wrote:

Hello, everyone this is my first post on this account, I am on a journey to get an 800+ credit score by the end of 2023. I have been building my credit up for the past year and my credit score now is in the 740s. I have only a few accounts 4-5 accounts primary accounts, ranging aroung $4000-$9000 and I am an authorized user on about 3 CC accounts, ranging around $4000-$11000. I have an account(s) with Discover, Bank Of America, Goldman Sachs (Apple Card), and Synchrony Bank (PayPal 2% Cashback Card)(Verizon Visa), have about 3 years and 6 months of average age, and I am an authorized user on Citi, Capital One, and Chase cards. My Data Points is this 100 on time payment history, about 8-9 accounts, under 10 percent utilization, 0 inquries, 0 auto loans, personal loans, or mortgage. To everyone who has acheived an 800+ credit score, tell me what led you to an 800 and also what were some of your data points as well to acheive this.

1.  Don't apply for anything new, or anything that could trigger a hard pull.

2.  Manage accounts so that almost all report zero balances.

3.  Add a share secured loan with Navy or PenFed and pay it down to 9% of the original loan amount.

4.  Keep overall revolving utilization below 6%.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 18
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Not sure why everyone keeps saying you HAVE to PIF. Technically you don't, as long as you pay your minimum on time every month across all accounts and keep utilization low. What about in cases of a 0% BT? You wouldn't be PIF then, since you're taking advantage of the no interest offer to float a balance.

Outside of BTs, yes of course, PIF is the best policy, makes the most sense financially, and ensures rewards are maximized, but I'm just saying it's not technically a requirement. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 18
Jrobertson1998
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

I just want to say thank you all so much for your replies, you all gave good advice, and this will help me tremendously going foward.

Message 9 of 18
Jrobertson1998
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

And you should also question WHY you want an 800+ score.   It won't get you anything that say a 780 score would

I do understand that, I just want to be able to say im apart of the 800+ club among some other reasons, but mainly for the first one. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.