Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on disputing bill

tag
Nick777
Valued Member

question on disputing bill

My mother has a collection on one of her credit reports - non payment for a telephone bill (SBC/SNET I think) for a bill that they tried to make her pay for although she had already sold the house. What is the best way of disputing this? I'm thinking by mail, send a copy of a document with the bill of sale date for the house to the credit reporting agency?

Message Edited by Nick777 on 07-07-2007 01:19 PM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: question on disputing bill

Has your mother talked with SBC about resolving the issue?  If not, I would start with them and see if you can work it out. If you are saying should you provide them (SBC) with the documents etc. to prove you moved and they will accept that, then yes. Utility companies are somtimes more flexable to deal with. Good luck!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was phone service changed/shut off when house was sold? if so sending them proof of when sale happened and if service was not shut off or changed due to there negligence then that should be all you need.
Message 3 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried PFB?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In most cases, the phone service remains in the seller's name at the original address until the seller specifically cancels the service, or transfers the service to a new address, or until the phone company terminates the service for non-payment (which is what appears to have happened). The sale of the house does not automatically cancel the existing phone service.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem with a Verizon bill that is showing up on my credit report as a collection account that was eventually paid (BECAUSE I GAVE UP!)  I got married and moved out of my apartment.  I cancelled the service but my lease went for 3 weeks after that because I needed time to move all of my things out and was working so much I needed the extra 3 weeks.  As far as I was concerned the phone service was shut off then all of a sudden I started getting a bill for phone service when I didnt even live there anymore.  I just paid the bill because I got nowhere when trying to dispute the charges.  Is there any way to get this off my credit report now?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.