Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"too many inquiries" question.

tag
itsxluigi
New Contributor

"too many inquiries" question.

I know inquiries actually fall off completely after 2 years, but I see a lot of places mentioning that they "age off" and "stop having an effect" at the one year mark. If I'm getting "too many inquiries" as the primary reason for denials, would I stop getting that after 1 year since they stop having an effect, even though they're technically still on my reports? Or would I have to wait until they fully fall off after 2 years?

I mainly noticed it on my Citi DC CLI request, Cap1 CLI request, and when I went to check pre-approval on Upstart/LendingClub/etc a couple months ago. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: "too many inquiries" question.

@itsxluigi wrote:

I know inquiries actually fall off completely after 2 years, but I see a lot of places mentioning that they "age off" and "stop having an effect" at the one year mark. If I'm getting "too many inquiries" as the primary reason for denials, would I stop getting that after 1 year since they stop having an effect, even though they're technically still on my reports? Or would I have to wait until they fully fall off after 2 years?

I mainly noticed it on my Citi DC CLI request, Cap1 CLI request, and when I went to check pre-approval on Upstart/LendingClub/etc a couple months ago. 

Even though they're not counted in scoring, there's no guarantee that they wouldn't still be a reason for denial.  But I don't think anyone's going to deny you for that reason when you haven't had an inquiry in more than a year.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 6
itsxluigi
New Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@itsxluigi wrote:

Even though they're not counted in scoring, there's no guarantee that they wouldn't still be a reason for denial.  But I don't think anyone's going to deny you for that reason when you haven't had an inquiry in more than a year.

Good to know. I was hoping to get my 6 month Citi DC CLI since it's my everyday card, but I guess I'll have to hold off a little longer and just keep doing multiple payments a month. I have 5 on TU in the past year (12 total) but 9 on EQ in the past year (11 total). I've got my utilization down quite a bit and my scores all seem to be jumping (went from 650s to some cards are showing me at 750-760 now), so I think the inquiries are really my only "baddie" at this point.

Message 3 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@itsxluigi wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@itsxluigi wrote:

Good to know. I was hoping to get my 6 month Citi DC CLI since it's my everyday card, but I guess I'll have to hold off a little longer and just keep doing multiple payments a month. I have 5 on TU in the past year (12 total) but 9 on EQ in the past year (11 total). I've got my utilization down quite a bit and my scores all seem to be jumping (went from 650s to some cards are showing me at 750-760 now), so I think the inquiries are really my only "baddie" at this point.

I'm being given the same reason for denial of my Citi CLI requests. I figure since I continue to get the "soft pull" language, I'll just keep applying once a month or so, until they feel I don't have "too many inquiries" on EQ Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

SJ, how many do you have in the last 12 months (and 24 months)?  I'm assuming Citi uses EQ for their account maintenance based on their provided Fico score, so I'm guessing they're looking at your EQ inquires?

Message 5 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

SJ, how many do you have in the last 12 months (and 24 months)?  I'm assuming Citi uses EQ for their account maintenance based on their provided Fico score, so I'm guessing they're looking at your EQ inquires?

I don't know but I know they're sort of loaded towards recent months, because of credit union CLI requests. I made 2 within a week or two of each other with one credit union, and they hard pulled me each time.

That's the one thing I don't like about credit unions, they hard pull everything. They don't have the self confidence to rely on their soft pulls.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.