cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

same medical collection twice

whatever-works
New Visitor

same medical collection twice

I have 2 medical collections on my credit that are the same debt, one from the hospital and one from a collection agency.  Can they both be on there?  One posted in 2/05 and the collection agency posted 6/06.  Can I dispute this as being on there twice?  If I dispute it, will it restart the 7 year time frame to come off?  I was told my a mortgage broker that paying it would only restart the time frame.  What actions should I take?  We are looking at buying a house in a year, so we have a little time.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: same medical collection twice

whatever-works wrote:
I have 2 medical collections on my credit that are the same debt, one from the hospital and one from a collection agency.  Can they both be on there?  One posted in 2/05 and the collection agency posted 6/06.  Can I dispute this as being on there twice?  If I dispute it, will it restart the 7 year time frame to come off?  I was told my a mortgage broker that paying it would only restart the time frame.  What actions should I take?  We are looking at buying a house in a year, so we have a little time.

Yes they can both be on there. Disputing does not restart the clock. And paying can restart the clock eventhough it is illegal.

You should try and negotiate a pay for delete with the hospitol (assuming they will work with you). If they won't, work with the CA. If they agree to a PFD, make sure to get it in writing before you pay and stipulate that both tradelines must be removed.
Message 2 of 4
whatever-works
New Visitor

Thanks for the input.  Once I get the PFD in writing... what if they don't actually delete, what course of action do I have?  If the item shows paid only, will that still increase my credit score or does it need to be taken off all together?  How long does the delete process typically take?  Can I negotiate a partial payment along with a PFD?    Thanks again for your help.
Message 3 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

whatever-works wrote:
Thanks for the input.  Once I get the PFD in writing... what if they don't actually delete, what course of action do I have?  If the item shows paid only, will that still increase my credit score or does it need to be taken off all together?  How long does the delete process typically take?  Can I negotiate a partial payment along with a PFD?    Thanks again for your help.

You show the letter to the CRA showing they agreed to remove but didn't. Ideally, you want them gone, not paid. Delete can take up to 30 days once the PFD is agreed upon. Yes you negotiate a partial payment.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.