Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

synchrony text message identity verification

tag
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

synchrony text message identity verification

when i go to my synchrony account manager to update any info on any of my accounts im prompted with a message to verify my identity by selecting from 3 phone numbers to receive either a text or a call to get a code.   however those numbers listed do not belong to me.  never have.  the 4th option is to list another number,  but it wont accept my legitimate phone number.    when i go to my profile i can clearly see the last few digits of my real phone number lised there.  

i called synchrony bank, explained the situation and they can confirm the phone numbers im seeing to get a text sent to are not on my profile. they say the only number they have is my legitimate one that i used to sign up with to start with.   say there is no way for them to remove those false numbers since they are unable to see them on their system.

so, have you guys had this issue before?   any suggestions on how to fix it?    ive checked my reports, nothing on there that shouldnt be.  this is a recent thing because it wasnt like this a few weeks ago when i did this to update my income.    im slightly afraid of poking synchrony for anything whatsoever, afraid that they will close my accounts over security concerns that im not who i say i am.  especially of they gave me a massive CLD for no reason a day or so ago. 

fico scores - August 2024:
TU - 733| EX - 737 | EQ - 730 |
TCL - 174K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: synchrony text message identity verification

@JcT21  Does this happen for just one account or all of your synchronny bank credit cards?

I can understand your concerns. If you want google search one of those phone numbers  to see who they belong to.

My personal  response would be close the account.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC bankcard 797 08/2024 EFX 811 Bankcard v8 811 EFX 806 FIC0 v8 (09/2024)
Discover IT 09/90, 19000, JC Penney 10/2008 4700, US Bank Cash 08/2010 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 20,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 08/23/2024 Langley FCU Signature Cash Back Visa 10000 Bank: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU
Pelican State CU Redstone FCU Hughes FCU, LangleyFCU My personal blacklist Bank of America Synchronny Bank Wells Fargo Capital One
Message 2 of 9
John-J-Schmidt
Frequent Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

when i go to my synchrony account manager to update any info on any of my accounts im prompted with a message to verify my identity by selecting from 3 phone numbers to receive either a text or a call to get a code.   however those numbers listed do not belong to me ... when i go to my profile i can clearly see the last few digits of my real phone number lised there.  

@JcT21 

Can you give more information?

Is this on the website and/or phone app?

Is this Synchrony's banking site, their Core credit card, or a co-brand website?

I logged in to my Synch banking site to see if I could duplicate your experience, but "update any info on any of my accounts" doesn't seem to make sense to me. Also when I look at my profile page it shows my single phone number in full; not just the last 4 digits.

"All horizontal surfaces shall soon be filled" "All vertical surfaces shall have horizontal surfaces attached"
Message 3 of 9
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

all the cards listed with the synchrony account manger via the pc web browser.  my paypal MC is not listed in this account nor is the regular paypal account.  those PP accounts dont have that issue.

Message 4 of 9
FicoMike0
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't worry about poking sync, I'd worry about id theft. First, clear your cache, everything. Second, try it with both the app and the webpage, using a different device, if possible. See if you get bogus numbers both ways. Third, if the problem continues call them, using the terms i d theft and fraud, ask for the fraud department. Also, check your reports for unexplained activity 

I had a similar problem, with fidelity. The number was a concantation of my present local number and an old area code. It took a couple of days for their excellent "English spoken here" phone support to fix it. 

Don't let this go, you need control of your account!

Message 5 of 9
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

this is at synchrony.com/accounts

walgreens MC was my first sync card.  when i login to the acct manager i use the credentials i created for my walgreens account.   as i aquired more sync cards, jcp, amazon, lowes, etc. those accounts also appeared in the account manager using the same login for walgreens.   both mastercards & store cards like lowes & amazon are showing in the account mangager.   it was the same thing using the sync app on my phone. 

however some good news.  sync contacted me this morning to tell me my accounts have all been updated to reflect my only current number for identity verification.   im currently logged in now and sure enough, its all been fixed.  given my penfed checking & savings was compromised yesterday due to a data breach,  im a little worried about things.

i do have my reports locked and ive changed my pw for everything.  which my reports are always locked.  been that way for years.

thanks for all replies.  id still like to know how this happened but sync didnt have an answer.   be safe out there you guys.... keep an eye on things!

Message 6 of 9
John-J-Schmidt
Frequent Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

this is at synchrony.com/accounts ... both mastercards & store cards like lowes & amazon are showing in the account mangager.   it was the same thing using the sync app on my phone. 

however some good news.  sync contacted me this morning to tell me my accounts have all been updated to reflect my only current number for identity verification.   im currently logged in now and sure enough, its all been fixed.  given my penfed checking & savings was compromised yesterday due to a data breach,  im a little worried about things.

i do have my reports locked and ive changed my pw for everything.  which my reports are always locked.  been that way for years.

thanks for all replies.  id still like to know how this happened but sync didnt have an answer.   be safe out there you guys.... keep an eye on things!

Excellent they got it fixed up for you. I see now in the account manager what you were referring to.

Thank you for the update.

"All horizontal surfaces shall soon be filled" "All vertical surfaces shall have horizontal surfaces attached"
Message 7 of 9
Patient957
New Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

given my penfed checking & savings was compromised yesterday due to a data breach,  im a little worried about things.

Wait, what?  Penfed data breach?  Account compromised?  Care to elaborate, please?

Message 8 of 9
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

yes penfed specifially mentioned this recent data breach...

See If Your Social Security Number Is in the National Public Data Breach - CNET

i had received alerts from penfed saying my checking was overdrawn from someone taking out money via paypal.   they determined my savings & checking had been compromised and closed both accounts, reopening new ones.  said my debit card, credit card, auto & personal loan info appeared to be fine.    they adivsed me to monitor all my accounts,  change all my passwords & lock my credit files.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.