Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time it takes for card to get on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

time it takes for card to get on credit report

ok all my simulations say if i get 2000.00 credit card my score will come up 30ish points,had 2 authorized cards for couple months got a unsecured capital one couple weeks ago,how long before it shows up.is their any tricks to get it to report quicker

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: time it takes for card to get on credit report

Depends on the card. From my own experience, capital one usually smacks my credit report when the statement ends. That's what happened with my venture at least. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Simulators are garbage and worthless to be honest.  In fact, your scores may very well drop, not increase with the addition of a new account on your reports.  The drop will only last a couple of months though, typically. 

Message 3 of 12
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Simulators are garbage and worthless to be honest.  In fact, your scores may very well drop, not increase with the addition of a new account on your reports.  The drop will only last a couple of months though, typically. 

Some cards, Like Sync cards, will show up the day after the account is opened!  Others, like Amex might take 30-50 days to report..

I agree with BrutalBodyShots. Simulators are garbage

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 12
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

Seems to depend on the creditor. Barclay's was reporting the day after they approved it, NFCU and WF took a month or so... YMMV

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 5 of 12
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

I've had the CHASE Freedom for about 3 weeks now, still isn't on my reports .  

Don't know how long it takes CHASE to begin reporting ! 

FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 6 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One department processes the account approval.

Another does the actual opening of the new account.

Another then does the credit reporting.  Since credit reporting is entirely optional, there is no set or required reporting period.

Reporting time could vary from instantaneous to never.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is known for taking 2 cycles often to show up on your credit report.  Others are quicker.  I opened an Amex, Discover and Synchrony account all on the same day.  The Synchrony account was on there in a couple of weeks, Discover in about a month, Amex in about 2 months.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are you in a hurry to have it show up? As soon as it shows up you're going to get hit with new account penalties -- inquiries, lowered AAoA, maybe other effects. 

The longer it takes the better for your score. After awhile the penalties wear off and you are left with the increased utilization. So... the longer it takes to report, the better for you: fewer months of newer account penalty before getting the goodness of the new card.

I never  understand people who wish it to report sooner.

Message 9 of 12
Marcos8
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why are you in a hurry to have it show up? As soon as it shows up you're going to get hit with new account penalties -- inquiries, lowered AAoA, maybe other effects. 

The longer it takes the better for your score. After awhile the penalties wear off and you are left with the increased utilization. So... the longer it takes to report, the better for you: fewer months of newer account penalty before getting the goodness of the new card.

I never  understand people who wish it to report sooner.

In this particular instance they wanted it to report as soon as possible based on the recommendation from a simulator that it would raise their score. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.