Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing mortgage after Chapter 7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinancing mortgage after Chapter 7

So Wells Fargo is deciding not to report my mortgage after Chapter 7 even though I make my payments every month on time. The law apparently allows them to do this if you do not reaffirm. Lawyers' advice was not to reaffirm track payments and refinance later. 

Has anyone refinanced their mortgage after Chapter 7 and if so which bank?  How long after Chapter 7? I heard there is a four-year waiting period for conventional loans.

Also, has refinancing been difficult after chapter 7?

Knighttrader

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: Refinancing mortgage after Chapter 7

I would get this moved to mortgage loans for responses.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 2 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The mortgage was discharged in the BK without reaffirmation. There is a 2 yr wait for FHA loans, not sure on conventional. Might want to check with a mortgage broker to see what they have to say.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Minimum waiting period on conventional loans is 4 years after DISCHARGE date. After four years, you should have a reubilt credit history and approval should be pretty simple.

FHA is 2 years must have elapsed since case number assignment date.

Message 4 of 6
aimhigh508

I purchased at home approximately 2 1/2 years post chapter 7 discharge. I owned a home at the time of BK and the mortgage was not reaffirmed nor were the mortgage Payments reported on my credit report. 
When I went to apply I was only eligible for FHA and all they requested was 24 months of on time payment history through a print out of my mortgage statements. 
i am now in the process of a stream line refi as the rates have dropped. 

Message 5 of 6
krielly
Established Contributor

You don't mention what your primary reason is for refi after your BK.

If you are only considering a re-fi to get your mortage to report, it may not be a good idea. 

Unless you have considerable equity in your property, it may not make sense to financially re-obligate yourself to this debt.

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.