cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a HELOC to save thousands and thousands in interest?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using a HELOC to save thousands and thousands in interest?

I recently learned of a strategy that apparently originated in Australia to use a HELOC like a checking account to pay down a mortgage and save thousands in interest. You simply would take out the HELOC apply the money to the mortgage, and then use it like your checking account (setting up direct deposit and paying bills from it). Then wash, rinse, and repeat. It sounded simple enough, the only caveat was that you have to be living on less than what you make. Apparently this works because the way that the interest is calculated differently, and the fact that your income getting direct deposited will satisfy the monthly payment on the HELOC.

Has anybody heard of this, or used this strategy before? It could be something I want to pursue when I get my first place, thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Using a HELOC to save thousands and thousands in interest?

What I don't understand is why you would do this with a HELOC and pick up that extra interest rather than doing an acclerated paydown of your mortgage. I have had a HELOC in the recent past and you have to make a monthly payment on the outstanding balance every month.  Your direct deposit goes into your bank account, not the HELOC - unless you are saying you deposit your entire monthly paycheck as a payment to the HELOC and you put nothing in your bank account. 

Both the HELOC and the mortgage use simple interest to calculate the loan. I don't see the advantage as you describe it. Do you have a link to what you are proposing?

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You do deposit your entire monthly paycheck into the heloc and that is the payment. The reason it saves you interest from my understanding is that the interest for a HELOC would be calculated on the remaining balance after your pay goes into the account. I heard about it on a podcast that can be heard here, it also describes it in better detail than I can:

https://www.listenmoneymatters.com/how-to-actually-save-thousands-on-your-mortgage/

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You do deposit your entire monthly paycheck into the heloc and that is the payment. The reason it saves you interest from my understanding is that the interest for a HELOC would be calculated on the remaining balance after your pay goes into the account. I heard about it on a podcast that can be heard here, it also describes it in better detail than I can:

https://www.listenmoneymatters.com/how-to-actually-save-thousands-on-your-mortgage/

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

What I don't understand is why you would do this with a HELOC and pick up that extra interest rather than doing an acclerated paydown of your mortgage. I have had a HELOC in the recent past and you have to make a monthly payment on the outstanding balance every month.  Your direct deposit goes into your bank account, not the HELOC - unless you are saying you deposit your entire monthly paycheck as a payment to the HELOC and you put nothing in your bank account. 

Both the HELOC and the mortgage use simple interest to calculate the loan. I don't see the advantage as you describe it. Do you have a link to what you are proposing?

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ps: I have tried posting this a few times and could not get it to go through, sorry for the delay.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Listen money Matters

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was having trouble getting this to post with a link, will try to post the link shortly. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.