Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4% APY Checking Accounts

tag
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

4% APY Checking Accounts

Was curious if anyone has heard of this 4% APY checking account up to $50k. Only 2 requirements are 1 DD/ACH/bill pay per month and 15 debit card purchases per month from Tab Bank - Kasasa Cash Checking.

I guess TAB stands for Transportation Alliance Bank, Inc.

They have verbiage that sounds like they're looking for folks automating the 15 xactions as well which I found interesting.

"Commensurate with the spending activities identified above, we expect the account’s debit card to be used frequently throughout each month and for transaction amounts to reflect a wide dollar range. Small debit card transactions conducted on the same day at a single merchant and/or multiple transactions made during a condensed time period particularly near the end of a Monthly Qualification Cycle are not considered normal, day-to-day spending behavior. These types of transactions appear to be conducted with the sole purpose of qualifying for the account’s rewards and thus will be deemed inappropriate transactions and will not count toward earning the account’s rewards. "

According to DoC Orion FCU also has a 4% APY with less required xactions but only open to a few areas.

Anyone have any experiences with either bank?

DoC has an article and You Tuber AskSebby did a short piece on Tab Bank. 

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 4% APY Checking Accounts

I have not heard of this and frankly sounds like too much work!

Message 2 of 15
tcbofade
Super Contributor

They're on to us...

I just opened a "high yield" savings account with a local CU that requires 15 debit transactions on a related checking account...

I've seen no such verbiage on their website and have every intention of finding 15 micro transactions somewhere...

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 15
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

15 $1 Amazon gift card purchases sounds like the trick!  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 15
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

15 $1 Amazon gift card purchases sounds like the trick!  Smiley Wink

I thought the same or the reloads. Tab Bank apparently has a $5 minimum xaction caveat.

CARDS:
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
Message 5 of 15
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep too much work,especially when they crack on the trick of loading $.50 cents 10 times to your Amazon gift card. I did in once for a new bank account bonus, and was new at it. First I tried repeated buying 50 cents of gas, the card got shut down on the 3rd purchase, no doubt fraud prevention. Then I found out about the Amazon trick and 7 transactions of .50 cents, .514, .52, etc. worked. OK once for a bank bonus but I wouldn't do it monthly just for higher interest, especially when they're watching for repeat small transactions.

My primary banking is Memory Bank, 2.45% on Money Market, 1.6% on checking, no debit card nonsense, no minimum/maximum. I keep most funds in MM and move to checking 2-3 times per month to cover bills.

Message 6 of 15
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep too much work,especially when they crack on the trick of loading $.50 cents 10 times to your Amazon gift card. I did in once for a new bank account bonus, and was new at it. First I tried repeated buying 50 cents of gas, the card got shut down on the 3rd purchase, no doubt fraud prevention. Then I found out about the Amazon trick and 7 transactions of .50 cents, .514, .52, etc. worked. OK once for a bank bonus but I wouldn't do it monthly just for higher interest, especially when they're watching for repeat small transactions.

My primary banking is Memory Bank, 2.45% on Money Market, 1.6% on checking, no debit card nonsense, no minimum/maximum. I keep most funds in MM and move to checking 2-3 times per month to cover bills.

I had not heard of Memory Bank. Checked it out, looks like a sweet option! If I need to replace my every day bank this will be in the running!

CARDS:

BANKS:
Message 7 of 15
iced
Valued Contributor

I’m glad to see at least one bank starting to crack down on this type of behavior. Bonus chasing and churning is as much a problem with checking and savings as it is with credit cards.

Hopefully, going forward the banks will find new requirements that aren’t as easy to get around so as to better maintain the spirit of the activity they’re looking for in return for the higher yields.
Message 8 of 15
601flyguy
Established Contributor

I have a few of these accounts and love em. 

Origin Bank has 4% up to 40k

First Financial Bank has 4% up to 15k

Heritage Bank has 4% up to 25k

I have to do 38 Amazon reloads a month but it's well worth it, especially if you can max these accounts out.

2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 9 of 15
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

So does anyone else have heartburn about keeping large amounts of money in checking accounts that are linked to a debit card you have to use in order to get the high interest rate? 

CARDS:

BANKS:
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.