Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied for NFCU membership - Experian Bank Account Alert

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applied for NFCU membership - Experian Bank Account Alert

I applied to join NFCU over the phone earlier this week.  I uploaded my license and 2nd form of ID as requested.  I didn't apply for any products yet, I just had to open the savings account.  My reports are all frozen. I just got this alert from Experian.

Is this an an actual hard inquiry or just an alert about a bank account being opened?  I don't see an inquiry on my report from them so I assume it's not....?

NFCU.jpg

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Applied for NFCU membership - Experian Alert

Just an alert for a new banking account, not a hard inquiry for credit. It's part of their identity theft protection.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I just wanted to make sure.  

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have free tools to pull your credit reports often?  If you do, you can just pull a fresh copy of your credit report and look at the section that lists hard inquiries.  If you do not have access to tools that pull reports, you should get access soon.

Message 4 of 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

OP has access through Experian -  this banking alert feature is part of the Experian scores / reports sevices, so inquiries are visible and OP stated they did not see any.  

I have the same EX service and received the same banking account alert when I opened both my USAA and NFCU checking.  

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you have free tools to pull your credit reports often?  If you do, you can just pull a fresh copy of your credit report and look at the section that lists hard inquiries.  If you do not have access to tools that pull reports, you should get access soon.

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5 of 12
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

PenFed does a hard inq with account opening, glad to see NFCU does not.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thornback is correct. I guess because I have only used B of A for banking forever, I have never seen this type of "inquiry alert" pop up in Experian before because I have never opened any other bank accounts.  I am guessing I'll receive a notification that it was opened from NFCU sometime this week.  I should have just went to the branch that is literally 1/4 mile away but I just called and did it.

Message 7 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

PenFed does a hard inq with account opening, glad to see NFCU does not.

When I opened a PenFed savings acct 2 months ago—forgot my reports were frozen—PenFed still opened it but it’s restricted. No HP. I was told that restrictions would be lifted if I unfroze  report and gave permission for a HP. No thanks. Found out DCU only did a SP with absolutely no restrictions so I opened a savings with them. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am assuming my membership has been approved.  I just had my initial NFCU savings account deposit taken out of my B of A account.  Interesting this was done on a Sunday.  I used my checking account Visa for the deposit, not ach, so this must have been manually done sometime in the last 4 hours?  I was thinking I would see it taken tomorrow morning, since it's Monday, if I was approved.  None of that really matters though, I'm just happy to finally be a member.

On another note...Once I get the confirmation from them, how long should I wait before I app for any of their products?

Message 9 of 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

On another note...Once I get the confirmation from them, how long should I wait before I app for any of their products?

You don't have to wait any specific amount of time... once you receive your account info and are able to set up your account online, you can app for their credit products immediately.    

I didn't receive any email-type notification upon opening my checking / savings accounts;  I did so over the phone and was told I'd receive an email to set up my account but didn't until nearly a week after I had already set up my online account.  My first indication of membership approval was the debit from my bank account and then the receipt of my banking docs / atm card a few days later (that stuff came quickly).   Then I was able to create my online account and I apped for the CC & CLOC the same day. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.