Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BECU 1 year review

tag
Green456
Established Contributor

BECU 1 year review

I have been with BECU for about 1 year now and I really like them. I don't have any credit products with them because they don't offer any SUB. Later this year I may consider obtaining a CC with them for the sole purpose of establishing a credit history with a credit union and as a back up if I get fed up with BofA and decide to close my oldest accounts. 

Here is what I really appreciate about BECU.

Fee Schedule: "As a not-for-profit credit union we are committed to offering fewer-to-no fees."

https://www.becu.org/~/media/Files/PDF/9115.pdf

• Fee schedule is less than 1 page long
  • No dormant account fee
  • No inactivity fee
  • Overdraft fee is only $25 and by default only towards electronic payments
  • Overdraft is by default turned off for debit card and you have to opt in
  • Otherwise this credit union has standard excessive transaction, research fees and wire transfer fees and that is it!

High Yield Check and Savings

Most credit unions offer high yield checking with a lot of strings, you have to do x amount of transaction, signatures, etc. BECU has flat 4% on Checking and 6% on savings which come out to be 5% on first $1,000. This is 2nd best rate to DECU in my opionion. 

Mobile Banking

BECU mobile app shines with smooth auto log in. You click on the app and you are in your account. You can't say the same thing about PenFed, Lake Michigan, First Tech, Fort Knox, SDFCU, PSECU. Each of these apps is determined to throw at you a pop out window "for security reasons you have been logged out," which is completely useless and breaks automatic log in via facial recognition. 

Fully functional Zelle

I have Bank of America and US Bank checking accounts. I have two personal emails and a phone number. I set up BECU with the phone number and the reminder with my two emails. I am able to instantly transfer funds between the 3 of them without any issues. Some credit unions like NFCU and First Tech also have Zelle support. But otherwise a lot of credit unions don't offer such support.

ACH Transfers

Next day transfer for free. I think only Alliant offers such service. 

ATM Refunds

$6.00 ATM refund per month Alliant and Ally bank offer $15-20 per month. But some credit unions such as PenFed and First Tech don't offer such services.

BECU also refunds international ATMs. Same amount. To my knowledge this is the only credit union that does so.  

No Foreign Transaction Fee:

This one is very unique. No foreign currency conversion fee and no foreign transaction fee. The fee assessed by the merchant gets refunded within 3 business days. This is on par with Charles Shwab. This maybe one of the very few institutions that does that. Chase Shapphire banking might be another one but you need 75 or 100k in their accounts. From what I read somewhere Fidelity Gold Debit card doesn't it as well but I'm not too familiar with them.

CO-OP Network

BECU is part of Co-Op network of branches. Neither PenFed or Alliant are part of such. This makes it easier to deposit cash. 

Credit Cards

1.5% cash back not the best but not useless. And it is not a point system which value can change at any moment. There is also 8.4% low rate visa. Not the lowest APR out there but pretty good. Especially that my federal student loan is at 7.5%. PenFed has 2% cash back but you have to keep $500 in their account earning close to 0% interest or do DD. PSECU, requires DD to earn 2%. I think on SDFCU has flat out 2% cash back card without strings attached.

Fully Featured Bill Pay

Electronic delivery of payments. I know some credit unions will actually print out a check and mail it. BECU does everything electronically. When I was member of Alliant, I had issues with that. I am not sure if this has been updated. PenFed like BECU had electronic delivery of payments. First Tech as well. Lake Michigan actually took it one step closer and offered free direct deposit service.

Customer Service

I called multiple times about various issues. Never get an attitude and CSR is always very helpful. 

LOC with no fees

Personal line of credit with fixed APR. No fees whatsoever for overdraft transfers. Really worry free checking.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: BECU 1 year review

Green456,

I agree with you on BECU! They are an excellent credit union. I haven't had a negative experience with them yet, and doubt that I will ever have one.  They have customer service that is better than NFCU in my opinion. When I joined, I had a challenge joining because I'm out of their Washington state footprint and wanted to verify my address.  I sent the documents over twice and they still had an issue.  They actually called me and we were able to rectify it over the phone.  The whole time everyone I encountered was extremely nice and friendly.  

I plan on using them for their rates on savings. I doubt I will ever get a credit card with them, because I have better cards elsewhere. I may use them for a mortgage. I have two friends that used them for mortgages and they had great rates and no issues.  

Guyatthebeach

Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice rundown!

I liked BECU and wish their review process was a bit smoother. The $500/$500 split for 6% would have been perfect for me versus the $1K in savings only at DCU and I agree that their mobile app was quite nice (only NFCU's app is nicer among the CU apps I have seen) plus their loan repricing program is something that only they do and is something that really shows that they're there for their members. 

DCU does have a free ACH transfer service by the way. You have to use their People Pay option and switch email/phone number to deposit to bank account. It says 1-3 days, I haven't gotten around to testing it yet to see how long it takes but I would imagine it would usually be 1 day. 

Message 3 of 32
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Thank you for the review.

Similar to BoA, BECU offers free TU 8 score.
Message 4 of 32
Green456
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice rundown!

I liked BECU and wish their review process was a bit smoother. The $500/$500 split for 6% would have been perfect for me versus the $1K in savings only at DCU and I agree that their mobile app was quite nice (only NFCU's app is nicer among the CU apps I have seen) plus their loan repricing program is something that only they do and is something that really shows that they're there for their members. 

DCU does have a free ACH transfer service by the way. You have to use their People Pay option and switch email/phone number to deposit to bank account. It says 1-3 days, I haven't gotten around to testing it yet to see how long it takes but I would imagine it would usually be 1 day. 

Is it actually ACH service or something similar to Zelle?

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice rundown!

It's actual ACH if you choose the deposit to bank account option. 

Message 6 of 32
Green456
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice rundown!

It's actual ACH if you choose the deposit to bank account option. 

Good to know. I thought for some reason that DCU only allowed ACH pulls and not push. I should probably open DCU account in the future. Their 6.17% interest seems nice to have. I updated my review btw.

Message 7 of 32
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Green456 wrote:

Credit Cards

1.5% cash back not the best but not useless. And it is not a point system which value can change at any moment. There is also 8.4% low rate visa. Not the lowest APR out there but pretty good. Especially that my federal student loan is at 7.5%. PenFed has 2% cash back but you have to keep $500 in their account earning close to 0% interest or do DD. PSECU, requires DD to earn 2%. I think on SDFCU has flat out 2% cash back card without strings attached.

The Low Rate Visa is great if you want no rewards and low APR. It offers $0% intro APR for 12 months on purchases and BT. No BT fees. No cash advance fees. No FTF.

https://www.becu.org/everyday-banking/credit-card/visa

In addition, I was half way done with a BT and got an invitation for another BT.

Message 8 of 32
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@Green456 wrote:

ACH Transfers

Is that a default thing?  Like, if I sent up a transfer at noon on Monday it'll be in my other account Tuesday morning no matter what, all the time?  Or do I have to do anything special?

And does that count for push and pull?  Assuming just pull?

(sorry that all sounds dumb, I don't know much about how ACH transfers work aside from assuming that it always takes about 3 days)

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 9 of 32
Green456
Established Contributor

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

ACH Transfers

Is that a default thing?  Like, if I sent up a transfer at noon on Monday it'll be in my other account Tuesday morning no matter what, all the time?  Or do I have to do anything special?

And does that count for push and pull?  Assuming just pull?

(sorry that all sounds dumb, I don't know much about how ACH transfers work aside from assuming that it always takes about 3 days)

It is not default. By default BECU has 2 Buisness Days but right below there is an option for Next Buisness Day. So yes if you do a push or pull on Monday, the money will be there on Tuesday. Of course there is a cut off time for Monday. And yeah most banks take 3 buisness days and some even longer. So this is not a dumb question.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.