Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BECU 1 year review

tag
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Re: BECU 1 year review

@Green456 wrote:

I have been with BECU for about 1 year now and I really like them. I don't have any credit products with them because they don't offer any SUB. Later this year I may consider obtaining a CC with them for the sole purpose of establishing a credit history with a credit union and as a back up if I get fed up with BofA and decide to close my oldest accounts. 

Here is what I really appreciate about BECU.

Fee Schedule: "As a not-for-profit credit union we are committed to offering fewer-to-no fees."

https://www.becu.org/~/media/Files/PDF/9115.pdf

• Fee schedule is less than 1 page long
  • No dormant account fee
  • No inactivity fee
  • Overdraft fee is only $25 and by default only towards electronic payments
  • Overdraft is by default turned off for debit card and you have to opt in
  • Otherwise this credit union has standard excessive transaction, research fees and wire transfer fees and that is it!

High Yield Check and Savings

Most credit unions offer high yield checking with a lot of strings, you have to do x amount of transaction, signatures, etc. BECU has flat 4% on Checking and 6% on savings which come out to be 5% on first $1,000. This is 2nd best rate to DECU in my opionion. 

Mobile Banking

BECU mobile app shines with smooth auto log in. You click on the app and you are in your account. You can't say the same thing about PenFed, Lake Michigan, First Tech, Fort Knox, SDFCU, PSECU. Each of these apps is determined to throw at you a pop out window "for security reasons you have been logged out," which is completely useless and breaks automatic log in via facial recognition. 

Fully functional Zelle

I have Bank of America and US Bank checking accounts. I have two personal emails and a phone number. I set up BECU with the phone number and the reminder with my two emails. I am able to instantly transfer funds between the 3 of them without any issues. Some credit unions like NFCU and First Tech also have Zelle support. But otherwise a lot of credit unions don't offer such support.

ACH Transfers

Next day transfer for free. I think only Alliant offers such service. 

Credit Cards

1.5% cash back not the best but not useless. And it is not a point system which value can change at any moment. There is also 8.4% low rate visa. Not the lowest APR out there but pretty good. Especially that my federal student loan is at 7.5%. PenFed has 2% cash back but you have to keep $500 in their account earning close to 0% interest or do DD. PSECU, requires DD to earn 2%. I think on SDFCU has flat out 2% cash back card without strings attached.

Fully Featured Bill Pay

Electronic delivery of payments. I know some credit unions will actually print out a check and mail it. BECU does everything electronically. When I was member of Alliant, I had issues with that. I am not sure if this has been updated. PenFed like BECU had electronic delivery of payments. First Tech as well. Lake Michigan actually took it one step closer and offered free direct deposit service.

Customer Service

I called multiple times about various issues. Never get an attitude and CSR is always very helpful. 

@Green456 Crazy it's been (1) Year already... I remember us talking about signing up like it was yesterday. The only reason I cannot get into this bank is the internal CC payments. Like at least give me the NFCU way of paying a specific amount from an external financial institution—(EFI). Not being able to pay directly from an EFI is pretty limited to my personality. If they could solve that, I would be more willing to jump aboard.

Also, they shut down the BECU Mix forums... Or I just cannot find it anymore.

Message 11 of 32
Green456
Established Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

I have been with BECU for about 1 year now and I really like them. I don't have any credit products with them because they don't offer any SUB. Later this year I may consider obtaining a CC with them for the sole purpose of establishing a credit history with a credit union and as a back up if I get fed up with BofA and decide to close my oldest accounts. 

Fee Schedule: "As a not-for-profit credit union we are committed to offering fewer-to-no fees."

• No dormant account fee
  • No inactivity fee
  • Otherwise this credit union has standard excessive transaction, research fees and wire transfer fees and that is it!

Most credit unions offer high yield checking with a lot of strings, you have to do x amount of transaction, signatures, etc. BECU has flat 4% on Checking and 6% on savings which come out to be 5% on first $1,000. This is 2nd best rate to DECU in my opionion. 

Mobile Banking

BECU mobile app shines with smooth auto log in. You click on the app and you are in your account. You can't say the same thing about PenFed, Lake Michigan, First Tech, Fort Knox, SDFCU, PSECU. Each of these apps is determined to throw at you a pop out window "for security reasons you have been logged out," which is completely useless and breaks automatic log in via facial recognition. 

Fully functional Zelle

I have Bank of America and US Bank checking accounts. I have two personal emails and a phone number. I set up BECU with the phone number and the reminder with my two emails. I am able to instantly transfer funds between the 3 of them without any issues. Some credit unions like NFCU and First Tech also have Zelle support. But otherwise a lot of credit unions don't offer such support.

ACH Transfers

Credit Cards

1.5% cash back not the best but not useless. And it is not a point system which value can change at any moment. There is also 8.4% low rate visa. Not the lowest APR out there but pretty good. Especially that my federal student loan is at 7.5%. PenFed has 2% cash back but you have to keep $500 in their account earning close to 0% interest or do DD. PSECU, requires DD to earn 2%. I think on SDFCU has flat out 2% cash back card without strings attached.

Fully Featured Bill Pay

Electronic delivery of payments. I know some credit unions will actually print out a check and mail it. BECU does everything electronically. When I was member of Alliant, I had issues with that. I am not sure if this has been updated. PenFed like BECU had electronic delivery of payments. First Tech as well. Lake Michigan actually took it one step closer and offered free direct deposit service.

Customer Service

I called multiple times about various issues. Never get an attitude and CSR is always very helpful. 

@Green456 Crazy it's been (1) Year already... I remember us talking about signing up like it was yesterday. The only reason I cannot get into this bank is the internal CC payments. Like at least give me the NFCU way of paying a specific amount from an external financial institution—(EFI). Not being able to pay directly from an EFI is pretty limited to my personality. If they could solve that, I would be more willing to jump aboard.

Also, they shut down the BECU Mix forums... Or I just cannot find it anymore.

Yup it has been just about 1 year. You are right, BECU credit cards do not support ebills and you cannot pay from external bank. I found this to be true for a lot of credit unions unfortunetly. This is also why I don't use credit cards from credit unions as my main drivers. 

Message 12 of 32
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Green456 wrote:

• No dormant account fee
  • No inactivity fee

Mobile Banking

Fully functional Zelle

ACH Transfers

Credit Cards

Fully Featured Bill Pay

Customer Service

CU don't always offer SUB. One of the main benefits of a CU CC is low interest rate. Always nice to have in Arsenal. Your post makes them look tempting though.

Message 13 of 32
Green456
Established Contributor

CU don't always offer SUB. One of the main benefits of a CU CC is low interest rate. Always nice to have in Arsenal. Your post makes them look tempting though.

Yeah I'm kind of split between the two cards. I don't have a single low APR card. So I should probably get that one next.

Message 14 of 32
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the review @Green456. I just wanted to add that even though Alliant and Penfed are not part of the Co-op branch network they are part of the Co-op ATM network so while you can't use a participating CUs branch you can use their ATMs for withdrawals and cash deposits.

Message 15 of 32
Green456
Established Contributor

@issac2x wrote:

Thanks for the review @Green456. I just wanted to add that even though Alliant and Penfed are not part of the Co-op branch network they are part of the Co-op ATM network so while you can't use a participating CUs branch you can use their ATMs for withdrawals and cash deposits.

Thanks. I updated the review.

Message 16 of 32
Green456
Established Contributor

Update:

I just messaged BECU. It looks like they also refund international ATMs, same amount $6 per month. I think this is the only credit union that does that. Ally and Alliant only refund ATMs in United States.

Message 17 of 32
Green456
Established Contributor

Update 3/4/20:

Looks like foreign currency conversion fee and foreign transaction fees are also refunded within 3 business days.

This is very unique, I don't know of any credit union that does that. Chuck Schwab will do it as well.

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

This credit union has become my favorite banking institution.

My suggestion if you're concered about wasting a hard pull if they block your out of state app then join (its a soft pull) and wait 30 days before you app credit prodcuts.

Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use BECU. They are one of the few places that have what is in my opinion a "proper" line of credit.

Namely, you can link the line of credit to your checking account. If you spend more than your checking balance it pulls in $100 increments from your line of credit and you avoid any overdraft (and no overdraft fee). You just pay interest for each day you had a balance on the LoC, and the interest rate is much lower than on typical credit cards (8.9% in my case).

This gives me a lot of peace of mind, knowing that even if I screw up my arithmetic the account will never bounce a check or fail to pay a credit card. I have all my credit cards set up to automatically pay full balance from that account, and I don't have to obsess over whether I've got enough money in the account to cover. I actually rarely use the line of credit, in the five years I've had the account I've drawn on it probably only a couple of times, and in every case quickly paid it down.

That also means that I can move most of my cash savings to a high interest savings account, that is a 2-3 day ACH transfer away from my checking account, but earning a much higher interest rate. I can move money from the high interest savings account to my checking account to cover a large bill, and if the large bill comes out before the ACH comes in, that's OK--it'll use the LoC for a day.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.