Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BECU trouble with identity verification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BECU trouble with identity verification

I applied for a savings account with BECU a few days ago.  I uploaded my SS card and DL online and both were accepted.  I called and asked If I could send send in bank statements instead of utility and the rep. said I could try that. 

It was denied because they were screenshots.  I used the chat feature before I sent in the pdf files and she said they would make an exception and 2 bank/credit statements would be accepted.

I called in after I sent them and the csr said "Oh no! There was a note on your file but it just got erased!" He said the department handling this just left 12 minutes ago and to call back tomorrow. I got a decline email with another upload link by the time I called back.

I explained myself to the csr and this time it's a whole different story. She says they do not make exceptions for utility statements.  She says this credit union is for locals. I joined the Northwest Credit Union Foundation and paid 20 dollars.  

I did not get the friendly, welcoming vibe like my earlier correspondence.  She was not rude but was adamant there was nothing I could do outside of coming into a branch.  She mentioned they have had a lot of fraud.

Overall the customer service was excellent and I would like to become a member.  I feel like if I could get past the fraud team I would have a good relationship with this CU.

Does anyone have advice for me? Did I just get unlucky and get the wrong rep? Should I explain how I am getting conflicting  answers and ask to speak to a supervisor? Maybe email them? Or just give it up?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

Re: BECU trouble with identity verification

My experience with BECU hasn't been good. I applied in person but they aren't worth it. They're good for the free "next day" external transfers. But as far as "fair" credit they are conservative. 
they also don't post direct deposits early like some other places (like Eastman Credit Union) does. 
I'm sorry you paid $20 for eligibility but they aren't like AMEX and worth it. 

Message 2 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You're in for a wild ride if you decide to keep trying. You can use alternatives to a utility bill. They have to be something that requires a SSN to get, so like a auto loan statement and credit card bill that shows your address. Personally, I think they brought someone on that's trying to block anyone that's not local.

Message 3 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear about your troubles!

Loan department is fantastic, fraud department..not so much!

BECU had me so heated after my experience. The last CU that tried something like this. I made sure they had to answer to the state regulators.

Tired of playing games with some of these fraud department jerks.

I understand trying to block fraud and protect the assets.

But when you start hand picking members, even those that aren't local.

Things are getting a little shady. 

And possibly illegal on their end.

Ok end of rant.😂😂

The only thing I know you can do.

Is mail in color copies of everything they asked for.

Even mail in another membership application. Along with your donation email.

If you have some DNA samples available. Mail those in to. Kidding on the last one 😂.

That's a lot of trouble to join a CU.

But some have made it happen.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I had a ton of problems with BECU, Their mall cop security dept. needs to for for a very long hike.

In the end I finally got it sorted out, but not without great pain.

I would never trust them as My Main FI ... Never Ever.

Basically just for the CC.

Message 5 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

MrFico,

They tried that with me. I reminded them that they do have a branch in SC and that makes me a local.  After sending in everything they asked for. After a week, it was resolved. I'm just taking advantage of their saving rates and that's it. To me BECU has a split personality. It maybe time for them to take meds and sit down. 

After my BECU experience, I've decided to only join CU's that will benefit me and don't make it hard to join. I still think SCSCU, Navy Federal, and Redstone FCU are the easiest to join, offer the best benefits, and have excellent customer service. I'm sure there are some I missed.

Guyatthebeach

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

MrFico,

They tried that with me. I reminded them that they do have a branch in SC and that makes me a local.  After sending in everything they asked for. After a week, it was resolved. I'm just taking advantage of their saving rates and that's it. To me BECU has a split personality. It maybe time for them to take meds and sit down. 

After my BECU experience, I've decided to only join CU's that will benefit me and don't make it hard to join. I still think SCSCU, Navy Federal, and Redstone FCU are the easiest to join, offer the best benefits, and have excellent customer service. I'm sure there are some I missed.

Guyatthebeach

BECU seems a bit nuts.  I'm also in SC, and I just don't trust that they aren't going to go ape over an app... 

Are their savings rates *REALLY* that worth it? 

Message 7 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Their rates were excellent when I joined, and now they are ok.  I'm not dumping them yet, but I don't plan on applying  for anything else with them for the moment. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

Their rates were excellent when I joined, and now they are ok.  I'm not dumping them yet, but I don't plan on applying  for anything else with them for the moment. 

Guyatthebeach

Yeah 2% for the first 500 then 0.2%? meh.... 

DCU's 6% for the first 1000% smells much better. 

I might eventually jump on them just for the fact that they are semi-local... I mean, it's only an hour and a half if I __HAD__ to drive to a branch to see someone face to face, and its in a city I routinely travel to. And that kexp debit card looks freaking awesome (not that I ever use a debit card...)

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.