Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of state US Bank Checking Account

tag
followgreatness
Contributor

Out of state US Bank Checking Account

Does anyone know if you can get apply and score a checking account with US bank if you live in a state without a branch? I'm in NY. 

I'm trying to build relationship with them so I can get to Cash+ offer. 

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Out of state US Bank Checking Account

@followgreatness wrote:

Does anyone know if you can get apply and score a checking account with US bank if you live in a state without a branch? I'm in NY. 

@followgreatness  You should be able to do it online?

But I would call them to confirm this.

Contact Information

Online & Mobile Customer Service
800-US-BANKS (800-872-2657)

Message 2 of 38
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@followgreatness wrote:

I tried this route after I was declined for CC and I was declined for a savings account as well.  Smiley Mad

First time in my life I have not been approved for a savings account. 

Potential Future Cards
Message 3 of 38
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

If my memory serves me correctly, I think you freeze "SageStream"  before applying for a US Bank account.

Message 4 of 38
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@followgreatness wrote:

You cannot. You have to live in a state where they have physical presence or travel to one. 

Message 5 of 38
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I live in NH and there is no US Bank branch here. I was able to open US Bank  Credit Card and  Savings and Checking accounts. So you can apply remotely online and open the accounts with US Bank. One thing you want to read there is a monthly fee on checking account that could be waived if you have a credit card with them. There are other criteria for getting the fee waived. Check on their website.

Message 6 of 38
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

I live in NH and there is no US Bank branch here. I was able to open US Bank  Credit Card and  Savings and Checking accounts. So you can apply remotely online and open the accounts with US Bank. One thing you want to read there is a monthly fee on checking account that could be waived if you have a credit card with them. There are other criteria for getting the fee waived. Check on their website.

Thanks, I could have swore I had read someone or two that opened a US Bank Acct(s) that was outside their area.

I believe the FREE checking with a CC is called "Gold Checking". 

Message 7 of 38
eastsea
Regular Contributor

I live in Florida and was told a firm no.  

Message 8 of 38
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@eastsea wrote:

I live in Florida and was told a firm no.  

What did you try to open and how did you approach them. I applied for Secured Card and it was approved, I applied for Checking and Savings account and they all approved. I did every thing online and did not have to talk to any CSR. About a month ago, I applied for and got a second secured card. ( US Bank graduates their secured card. That is the reason I opened a second secured card with them. )

Message 9 of 38
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I opened credit card first and then bank account later.

Closest branch to me is 281 miles away in another state.

With Sagestream frozen, it did take me longer to secure bank account.

They wanted me to unfreeze it at the beginning. I never did.

I'd say after 90 days with the CC and then apply again for gold checking account. Approved instantly no unfreezing Sagestream necessary.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.