Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BECU

tag
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

BECU

I've read quite a few posts praising BECU on here... Just as much as Navy FCU even. 

Anyone have additional information for me regarding BECU? I could consider moving all of my money there. I've read from people their customer service beats NFCU and they offer stellar interest rates, as well as a quality app and online banking experience.

I'm from Central New York so will have to somehow qualify and would need some pointers on how to do so.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: BECU

BECU Eligibility Question

@creditfanwrote:
It's possible to be an out of state member
here is my way in
paid $20 for NWCUF membership
snail mail this form with hand written https://www.becu.org/~/media/Files/PDF/6803_9115.pdf?la=en
included copies of driver license, SSN and welcome email from NWCUF
mailed it out a week+ ago and received a WELCOME email from BECU yesterday

p/s: I also did online first, but didn't work out for me
Message 2 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Checking and savings APY has been reduced so take that into consideration.

Message 3 of 23
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

After reading through that thread, I will say, no thanks! The hoops you have to jump through are ridiculous. 

Message 4 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@VPExecutive wrote:

After reading through that thread, I will say, no thanks! The hoops you have to jump through are ridiculous. 

They've gotten better at doing the online membership, YEMV. Personally, I did the snail mail and had great success.

Message 5 of 23
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@VPExecutive wrote:

For what it's worth, I live in NYC, joined online, and it was smooth and painless.  Opened checking/savings, credit card and CLOC.  Spoke with a CSR (who was wonderful) when applying for the CLOC, but other then that, everything has been online.

Very happy with them so far.  Probably gonna move my direct deposit over this month.

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined in late 2019. Also out of state, all online, no personal documents needed, buttery smooth experience. FWIW many of the out of state horror story membership experiences are from early-mid 2019 when they first opened up out of state membership.

Keep in mind that the high interest rates you see on checking/savings accounts are only for the first $500 deposited in each. That said, they're a stellar financial institution with phenomenal customer service.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VPExecutive wrote:

That thread is older than a year and believe it was towards the front of them letting in OOS applicants.  I can speak from personal experience lately that the process is a lot better.  I had to provide scanned images of DL + SS card to become a member and was approved a few hours later.  Since have gotten a CC and PLoC with absolutely no other documenation and/or issues.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Their interest rate is only great for the fiest $1000. Its pretty terrible after that.

But you are correct about the customer service. Its one of the best. Where they excel is loan rates and CC.

Message 9 of 23
Caught750
Valued Contributor

I just joined today actually.  Monday did the online app, Tuesday they requested verification of ID (DL, SS, Utility bill), today membership was approved.  

Extremely painless for what they'll give in return.

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.