Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banking with DCU instead of Wells Fargo

tag
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Re: Banking with DCU instead of Wells Fargo

Ok, so I'm finally going to go for it. I already changed out all of my bills and recurring charges away from WF. I just need to change my direct deposit.

My question now is....how do I close the WF account when I'm ready? Do I have to do it in person? Will they give me a hard time? Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever closed a bank account before. Wells Fargo is actually the third bank associated with this checking account. Banks kept merging and I just stayed put. 

Message 11 of 31
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@iced wrote:

My residence is in MA so I'm technically local (though not really - the nearest branch is 45 minutes by car), but I'm out of town 100+ days a year and have never had a problem getting things done with them, either in the US or abroad.

Honestly, the only benefit of theirs I've needed a local branch for was the free coinstar conversion, and that's something I do maybe once every 2-3 years. Everything else is via their mobile app. If I lived remote, I would either plan a trip to Boston every year or so and take care of coin deposits then or just eat the marginal cash cost to do it at a grocery store.

It's kinda funny that you mentioned this because the only real need I have for a branch/teller is that I often need to get rolls of quarters, because the development I moved to has laundry rooms with coin-operated machines. They've been saying they're switching to cards, but that still hasn't happened.

Message 12 of 31
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

Ok, so I'm finally going to go for it. I already changed out all of my bills and recurring charges away from WF. I just need to change my direct deposit.

My question now is....how do I close the WF account when I'm ready? Do I have to do it in person? Will they give me a hard time? Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever closed a bank account before. Wells Fargo is actually the third bank associated with this checking account. Banks kept merging and I just stayed put. 

The best way to close a bank account is to take the account down to a $0 balance, either by electronic transfer to another bank or write a check. Once the account is $0 balance use the Contact Us in your online account for a phone number to call them, that person can close it for you. If you do it in person at a branch most banks don't allow tellers to close accounts, you have to have see a manager and there is often a waiting line for a manager.

The last time I tried to close an account in branch it was Chase, the teller gave my the $5 & change in the account but pointed to the line of 3 people waiting for the manager. I figured it would be 15-20 minutes so I just called when I got home and got it closed in under 5 minutes. But be sure to empty the account to a $0 balance, if there is a balance they have to mail you a check and there's often a fee for that.

Message 13 of 31
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

The best way to close a bank account is to take the account down to a $0 balance, either by electronic transfer to another bank or write a check. Once the account is $0 balance use the Contact Us in your online account for a phone number to call them, that person can close it for you. If you do it in person at a branch most banks don't allow tellers to close accounts, you have to have see a manager and there is often a waiting line for a manager.

The last time I tried to close an account in branch it was Chase, the teller gave my the $5 & change in the account but pointed to the line of 3 people waiting for the manager. I figured it would be 15-20 minutes so I just called when I got home and got it closed in under 5 minutes. But be sure to empty the account to a $0 balance, if there is a balance they have to mail you a check and there's often a fee for that.

Thank you!! Of course they would charge you a fee lol Smiley Frustrated

Message 14 of 31
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Thank you!! Of course they would charge you a fee lol Smiley Frustrated

I would not take it down to a zero balance; that might cause an overdraft.

I would just call customer service and tell them I want to close the account.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Draining an account to exactly $0 is a well-known method of signaling your desire to close an account with a bank. 

https://www.consumerismcommentary.com/close-wells-fargo-savings-checking-bank-account/

Message 16 of 31
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Draining an account to exactly $0 is a well-known method of signaling your desire to close an account with a bank. 

https://www.consumerismcommentary.com/close-wells-fargo-savings-checking-bank-account/

Thanks for the link - it makes me even more confident in my decision.

I'm not worried about draining down to $0. I started the process of switching out all my bills months ago, so all that's left is my direct deposit and balance (to avoid fees). I just don't know how long it'll take to switch since my company is pretty slow with these things.

Message 17 of 31
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

You know the bank doesn't have to offer Zelle for you to use Zelle right?

You can download the zelle app and link your DCU debit card

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyDataMyChoice wrote:

This is true but this method is limited to $400. I use this to send my roommates rent and grocery contributions and when they need to borrow money from me so $400 isn’t enough. 

Message 19 of 31
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MyDataMyChoice wrote:

This is true but this method is limited to $400. I use this to send my roommates rent and grocery contributions and when they need to borrow money from me so $400 isn’t enough. 

I've never used Zelle. What about Venmo?

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.