Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking through Chase Bank

tag
amclaughlin42
Regular Contributor

Checking through Chase Bank

What type of things do they check when opening a checking account at Chase Bank? My wife has a local bank, and she has had nothing but issues! We had a joint bank acccount overdraft when I lost my job. My wife tried to add me to her account before the overdraft happened, this bank couldn't do it because of something in the Check Systems. Then we noticed the collection paid it right away, and they lowered my wifes Debit Limit access to $200 about 2 month after opening the account. After the collection was paid, I still could not be added and cannot even though the collection showed as paid through check systems, in addition the bank is refusing to raise my wifes Debit Card Limit to the standard $500 a day. We can't groccery shop on this, and we want to sign up for an account through a major bank such as chase, BofA, PNC, Wells Fargo, Ect. We like what we see with Chase and have easier access to Chase Banking. I have a Discover Credit Card, and I could bank through them, but I'd prefer a bank with actual locations. Chase is the best one I see in my area. 

My mother in law has advised my wife to keep her account open, because she thinks it looks bad to switch bank accounts to frequently. 

Cards: CreditOne AMEX - $600, Cap1 QS - $500, Avant-$300, Cap1 WM Store - $300
GOAL - Chase FU - Goal Score 725
07/2021 - Experian 675 Equifax 673 Transunion 688
07/2019 - Experian 623 - Equifax 628 - Transunion 622
04/2019 - Experian 597 - Equifax 610 - Transunion 619
01/2017 - Experian 479 - Equifax 457 - Transunion 461
04/2017 - Experian 502 - Equifax 473 - Transunion 476
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Checking through Chase Bank

Chase will check ChexSystems for opening checking accounts.

Message 2 of 10
amclaughlin42
Regular Contributor

The thing is the account isn't open. I don't have a checking account at all right now. But my wife can't have more than one checking account? My mother in law has 3. This would be a joint account. Old National account is closed and paid off. This account I would be the main account holder my wife would be secondary

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You (or your wife, whomever) can have as many as you want.

It's not "recommended" to have a lot of bank accounts with different institutions because that can be a lot to manage, and many people often incur one or two NSF/Overdraft fees because they forgot to refill a certain account before a bill came through. But, it doesn't necessarily "look bad", as institutions don't know where you bank unless you tell them. They can, however, see that you may have had ChexSystems pulled at a certain institution, but they generally don't deny an account based off of how many ChexSystem pulls you have.

Message 4 of 10
Jetboy
Regular Contributor

They can, however, see that you may have had ChexSystems pulled at a certain institution, but they generally don't deny an account based off of how many ChexSystem pulls you have.

Banks/Credit unions CAN deny you for too many Chex Systems inquiries even if you have no negative items listed.

Do a online seach for  "denied checking account for too many chex inquiries" or "Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive"

"edited" 

Message 5 of 10
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

If you have a BBVA Compass bank they don't run Chex systems and can open an account there.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase will check ChexSystems for opening checking accounts.

from my experience..it lasts for about 3 years....

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many CU offer 2nd chance checking. And will take you even if you are chex.  I have known people to a savings account and request a debit card. The credit union  a few down from our office won't let use remote deposit because our our scores are under 750 but they will cash a cash against unsecured funds for several thousand dollars. Now explain that. We have an account there but because of their rules its not our main one. 

Message 8 of 10
amclaughlin42
Regular Contributor

Well, I opened account at Chase bank, however my wife could not get on due to something from Experian. She is going to call tomorrow and hopefully get something sorted out. Hopefully it'll be a quick call, and something to be easily remidied.  Hopefully its not due to the same issue. My wife is leaving her regional account open, until she get added on to my account

Message 9 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@amclaughlin42 wrote:

What type of things do they check when opening a checking account at Chase Bank? My wife has a local bank, and she has had nothing but issues! We had a joint bank acccount overdraft when I lost my job. My wife tried to add me to her account before the overdraft happened, this bank couldn't do it because of something in the Check Systems. Then we noticed the collection paid it right away, and they lowered my wifes Debit Limit access to $200 about 2 month after opening the account. After the collection was paid, I still could not be added and cannot even though the collection showed as paid through check systems, in addition the bank is refusing to raise my wifes Debit Card Limit to the standard $500 a day. We can't groccery shop on this, and we want to sign up for an account through a major bank such as chase, BofA, PNC, Wells Fargo, Ect. We like what we see with Chase and have easier access to Chase Banking. I have a Discover Credit Card, and I could bank through them, but I'd prefer a bank with actual locations. Chase is the best one I see in my area. 

My mother in law has advised my wife to keep her account open, because she thinks it looks bad to switch bank accounts to frequently. 

I agree with your mother in law.

But I wouldn't tell your wife not to open a new relationship somewhere else; it's just that Chex Systems will probably stand in the way.

What I would do is apply to open a new checking account, and if she gets turned down due to Chex or a similar company, she can then get a free copy of the Chex report and start sending in dispute letters.

Then after 6 months of working on Chex, try again.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.