Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChexSystems Inquiries

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

ChexSystems Inquiries

I was recently turned down for 2 different credit union savings accounts because of inquiries listed in my ChexSystems report.

I pulled the report, to see if there were any negatives of which I was not aware, and there were none.

I see that the inquiries, which are for deposit accounts, not credit applications, are carried for 3 years.

Do I need to wait 3 years for them to fall off, of is there some shorter cooling off period, after which I can safely apply for a new deposit account?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: ChexSystems Inquiries

How long has it been since your last Chex inquiry? 

I'd imagine 6 months to a year for less sensitive CUs would be sufficient. 

Message 2 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What @Remedios said. Not so much the amount of inquiries being the issue but how new they are. Like with credit card reports a little break while letting your Chex cool off should be good, note however some CUs are seriously sensitive to even a few accounts showing up like First Tech so plan accordingly.
Message 3 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

IME a common threshold appears to be the number of inquiries over the last 12 months and even institutions known to be sensitive can be more forgiving if applying in-branch vs online. 

DoC does maintain an incomplete list of banks and credit unions with data-based indicators if they are sensitive or not.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

There are a bunch of them that could care less about how many accounts you've opened.

I've opened 12 bank accounts since June 2018. I haven't been denied for any of them related to the Chex system.

US Bank denied me at the beginning because Sagestream is frozen. Eventually letting me in without needing to pull Sagestream.

I successfully opened a US bank, Chase, BB&T,  BBVA Compass, BMO-Harris, Union Bank, DCU, Consumers Credit Union, RedNeck Bank, Wells Fargo, CitiBank and Marcus by Goldman Sachs in that period of time.

Message 5 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Chexs is the bane of my existence since moving a year back..  They are very sensitive to moving for whatever reason and your score tanks for buying a house shame on your for doing that sigh turned down for one CU for having 2 addresses in two yeras meaning my old address and my newly built house (head boggled)

anyways on subject chex inquiries remain on your report for 5 years.. some CU's and banks are more sensitive than other golden rule i have read is kinda apply for a bank or two or cu or two wait 3-6 months apply for another few banks or cu then wait 3-6 months.  Banks and CU's are becoming alot more of cry babies to different degrees due to inquiries.  Alot of people have clean chex reports with 800 plus scores than can't get into a bank or cu simply to the amount of chexs inquiries and seems to be getting worse for whatever reason just due to inquires where-as with credit inquiries really mean squat if your profile is robust enough, not the case with chexs .  I was actually thinking about you when I was going through my denials SJC and wondering how you were still getting approved for CU's, but apparently they have caught up to you.  Might want to request your score by fax or writting from them as well and if you are in the 500's it is certainly time to worry!

Most recently denied 2 months ago to DCU for Chexs..  Letting my chexs chill for anoth 3 months for a total of 5 before trying to open anohter CU account as just digging myself into a deeper hole.  Some places that are local you can have them overturn a chexs denial, but most remote cu and/or banks not so easy.

Message 6 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

There are a bunch of them that could care less about how many accounts you've opened.

I've opened 12 bank accounts since June 2018. I haven't been denied for any of them related to the Chex system.

US Bank denied me at the beginning because Sagestream is frozen. Eventually letting me in without needing to pull Sagestream.

I successfully opened a US bank, Chase, BB&T,  BBVA Compass, BMO-Harris, Union Bank, DCU, Consumers Credit Union, RedNeck Bank, Wells Fargo, CitiBank and Marcus by Goldman Sachs in that period of time.

Which Consumers Credit Union? There are multiple credit unions with that name.

Message 7 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Chexs is the bane of my existence since moving a year back..  They are very sensitive to moving for whatever reason and your score tanks for buying a house shame on your for doing that sigh turned down for one CU for having 2 addresses in two yeras meaning my old address and my newly built house (head boggled)

anyways on subject chex inquiries remain on your report for 5 years.. some CU's and banks are more sensitive than other golden rule i have read is kinda apply for a bank or two or cu or two wait 3-6 months apply for another few banks or cu then wait 3-6 months.  Banks and CU's are becoming alot more of cry babies to different degrees due to inquiries.  Alot of people have clean chex reports with 800 plus scores than can't get into a bank or cu simply to the amount of chexs inquiries and seems to be getting worse for whatever reason just due to inquires where-as with credit inquiries really mean squat if your profile is robust enough, not the case with chexs .  I was actually thinking about you when I was going through my denials SJC and wondering how you were still getting approved for CU's, but apparently they have caught up to you.  Might want to request your score by fax or writting from them as well and if you are in the 500's it is certainly time to worry!

Most recently denied 2 months ago to DCU for Chexs..  Letting my chexs chill for anoth 3 months for a total of 5 before trying to open anohter CU account as just digging myself into a deeper hole.  Some places that are local you can have them overturn a chexs denial, but most remote cu and/or banks not so easy.

According to the account denial letter my credit score was 837.

Message 8 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

wow that is high so purely inquiries if that was your chexs score and not your credit score from eq,ex or tu

Message 9 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

wow that is high so purely inquiries if that was your chexs score and not your credit score from eq,ex or tu

That was my score from chex ... 837 out of 899. 

The only reason given for the denial was "Number of recent inquiries on credit bureau report"

I couldn't find a single negative in the report.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.