Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commuting benefits - wageworks

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Commuting benefits - wageworks

Hey guys, just heard good news. My job is offering pre-tax commuting benefits where I get to save put up $265/m when it comes to commuting. Since I have a car, and I have the Chase Reserve as well, this would benefit me if I use Uber a lot right? But then I would be burning money just for using Uber back and forth lol.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Commuting benefits - wageworks

That's a nice benefit.  But unless Uber is cheaper than driving your own car to work, it's probably not cost effective to use Uber for commuting.

If you want CC rewards for commuting, get a card that earns higher rewards on gas, like the BoA Cash Rewards.

Then use the pretax money you put aside to pay for the gas, car maintenance etc.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Hey guys, just heard good news. My job is offering pre-tax commuting benefits where I get to save put up $265/m when it comes to commuting. Since I have a car, and I have the Chase Reserve as well, this would benefit me if I use Uber a lot right? But then I would be burning money just for using Uber back and forth lol.

You'd be putting your Uber (note: Uber Pool only on this plan) rides on a Transit debit card, so your Chase Reserve doesn't come into play. Pre-tax is still a much better savings, though.

If you are driving to work currently and have to pay to park, your employer should be offering a pre-tax parking option as well. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's a nice benefit.  But unless Uber is cheaper than driving your own car to work, it's probably not cost effective to use Uber for commuting.

If you want CC rewards for commuting, get a card that earns higher rewards on gas, like the BoA Cash Rewards.

Then use the pretax money you put aside to pay for the gas, car maintenance etc.

Not applicable, unfortunately. Can only be used for mass transit and Uber Pool.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There have been several recent posters that acquired the "Ducks Unlimited" Card for it's gas benefit. Card issued by FNBO (First National Bank of Omaha).

The Ducks Unlimited Rewards Platinum Edition® Visa® Card is issued by First Bankcard, a division of First National Bank of Omaha. It boasts something that few other cards on the market can: a big, honking cash-back rate on gas with no strings attached — no reward limits, spending caps, fees or membership requirements. It earns:

Unlimited 5% cash back on gas purchases. (This includes businesses whose merchant category codes are either “service stations” or “automated fuel dispensers,” per the card’s terms.)
Unlimited 5% back on sporting goods store purchases.
Unlimited 1% back on everything else.
Message 5 of 9
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Wait, so could I pay with my Reserve and then have the transit debit card reimburse me? Cause that's how my HSA works. I have a HSA debit card but I don't use it to buy HSA card with it, I use my Amazon CC first then have it reimburse. Would it work the same? And also, say I use the commuter benefit for something else related, they would know? Thanks.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Wait, so could I pay with my Reserve and then have the transit debit card reimburse me? Cause that's how my HSA works. I have a HSA debit card but I don't use it to buy HSA card with it, I use my Amazon CC first then have it reimburse. Would it work the same? And also, say I use the commuter benefit for something else related, they would know? Thanks.

No. You can only use the transit debit card to buy mass transit tickets directly from a provider OR to pay for Uber Pool rides. The card only works for these merchants.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same setup thru my job. I think you can pay for transit costs on your credit card and then submit the receipts to wageworks for reimbursement. The transit card is just another way to pay with the money being taken out pre-tax. I haven’t tried it yet with my BCP which give 6% back but I would think it works. A few times I forgot my transit card and paid with my debit card at the machine and was able to submit the receipt to wageworks for reimbursement. It might be harder to do for Uber since everyone has the card stored in the app so it might be a red flag that you paid for Uber pool with another card instead of the commuter credit card. But YMMV.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Unlimited 5% back on sporting goods store purchases.

That would be great, for some of the things I buy. However, I don't gas up very often thanks to an extremely economical car. About once a month, maybe two if I travel. So this is why I never consider this category when looking at Rewards on Credit Cards. 

This is one of the best gas cards i haev evern seen though, and would make sense for those that commute often!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.