Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Power of Attorney

tag
Creditsen
Regular Contributor

Creating a Power of Attorney

I haven't even started the process yet but I am wondering if anyone has good advice or links. I am never opposed to online services that help you through creating the forms. Do you need to do different forms to split a power of attorney between financial and healthcare between two different people?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
satio
Frequent Contributor

Re: Creating a Power of Attorney

I have done this for multiple family members.

I have always executed separate POAs...

Statutory POA for Financial matters and then a Medical POA for health matters.

Message 2 of 5
Andypanda
Established Contributor

If by the small chance you live un sacramento ca. I could recommend a good estate laweyer to draw up sll the documents you need.

Message 3 of 5
Creditsen
Regular Contributor

@satio wrote:

Did you go through a lawyer for this process?

Message 4 of 5
satio
Frequent Contributor

@Creditsen wrote:

@satio wrote:

Did you go through a lawyer for this process?

I had documents drawn up at one point in time for one family member and I had an attorney prepare them but also needed to update a Last Will at the time so they were an easy add on.

I have since used the same statutory POA document for other family members that needed to grant me POA to take care of financial matters on their behalf. In these cases I just modified the pertinent details within them for the parties involved, re: the declarant and the assignee(s).

The medical is pretty basic and so is the statutory... but the version I have for statutory does have few legalese references to items from DURABLE POWER OF ATTORNEY ACT of the TEXAS ESTATES CODE as I am in Texas.

I have a good friend who is an attorney who specializes in business and criminal along with a long standing relationship with a family attorney that has helped me on many different matters (divorce and estates) so can get some "free counsel" and confirmation for what I am doing based on those relationships.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.