Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU

tag
Jpmack29
Regular Contributor

DCU

does it affect your credit just to open a standard checking account with them? I've been with my bank for 5 years and they suck, I'm looking at day to build a relationship for a mortage with in the near future. Thanks 

Current (8/2015): Equifax 688, Transunion 689, Experian 708
Goal Scores: 700 across the board

Capital One Venture: $5500| Discover it: $4500| American Express Green Card: NPSL| Capital One- QuickSilver: $3000| American Express Everyday Card: $2000| Bank of America- Americard Cash Rewards: $1500 | Barclays Cash Rewards: $1300| Chase Freedom:$1200| Barclays Apple Rewards: $2000
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gibeon
Established Contributor

Re: DCU

You will get a HP on Equifax to open accounts. So possibly a small ding to EQ score, depending.

They're super-nice though, so definitely worth it to me!

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 2 of 7
Jpmack29
Regular Contributor

Do they have specific criteria to join? 

Current (8/2015): Equifax 688, Transunion 689, Experian 708
Goal Scores: 700 across the board

Capital One Venture: $5500| Discover it: $4500| American Express Green Card: NPSL| Capital One- QuickSilver: $3000| American Express Everyday Card: $2000| Bank of America- Americard Cash Rewards: $1500 | Barclays Cash Rewards: $1300| Chase Freedom:$1200| Barclays Apple Rewards: $2000
Message 3 of 7
gibeon
Established Contributor

They'll approve with a paid Chexsystems item and a boatload of Inquiries and 5-6 paid charge-offs/collections and a mid-600's score.

Also, you have to be geographic/organization related or join a particular charity to be eligible.
Message 4 of 7
gibeon
Established Contributor

They also approved my refi with the stars above at 3.9%, but I owe less than worth and they wouldn't approve more than I owed.
Message 5 of 7
ddemari
Super Contributor

i took several hard pulls by opening a share account with them, approved. then when checking an app status with rep. online, was told I should apply for Checking. i asked if they would use the same pull, of course she said, Took my second pull then. Took 3 in total for membership, checking and denied card. 

they are pull hungry and my eq score from them is 720s but they dont like all my available credit, therefore I need to give up on getting a CC with them. but you should be fine for checking if you want it. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:

i took several hard pulls by opening a share account with them, approved. then when checking an app status with rep. online, was told I should apply for Checking. i asked if they would use the same pull, of course she said, Took my second pull then. Took 3 in total for membership, checking and denied card. 

they are pull hungry and my eq score from them is 720s but they dont like all my available credit, therefore I need to give up on getting a CC with them. but you should be fine for checking if you want it. 

I'm in the same boat. Back when I joined DCU I'm positve that I selected both savings and checking but the checking never showed up. Spoke to a rep who said they would use the same pull as when opening the account. Wrong. So three EQ pulls from them in total for membership, checking and a denied CC. Main reason they cited on the CC was too many inquiries. At the time I only had 8 on EQ and three of those were from DCU. Granted NFCU is just as pull happy and I have 5 or 6 EQ pulls from them as well but at least I have 65k in TL's to show for it. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.