Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FirstBank(1STBank) $300 checking promo

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FirstBank(1STBank) $300 checking promo

I was going for the Anywhere Checking account but then read the fee schedule and they will charge $10/yr for the debit card! No thank you!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FirstBank(1STBank) $300 checking promo

So you're passing up $300 because you would have to give them $10 back? I have had them for years and the only complaint I have with them is that $10. Considering how hard it is to make me happy though, only having that to complain about speaks volumes for how great they are. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My plan is not to churn it. The longer I keep it the less attractive the bonus will be.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get rid of the debit card. The only reason I have mine is because getting rid of it would involve me going to a regular savings account and their system won't let them convert my Bloom savings to a regular one without changing the account number. I also use Zelle and you have to have a debit card for that. 

I like 1stBank though so if it costs me $10 a year for a bank I actually like to do business with, there are worse things for me to waste $10 on. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was going for the Anywhere Checking account but then read the fee schedule and they will charge $10/yr for the debit card! No thank you!

Here is what Firstbank doesn't really tell you....the Premier Checking account waives the annual fee on both the Visa debit and overdraft line of credit (if you have one). (Yes, I know the bonus is on Anywhere Account, keep reading). 

They like to promote the fact that if you keep at least $2,500 in the Premier account, you will earn interest. It creates an illusion that you HAVE to keep $2,500.00 in the account to avoid fees. You don't. As long as you have a $1,000 direct deposit each statement period, the account is fee-free. You won't earn interest if the balance falls below $2,500 (which, currently is a paltry 0.01%) but more importantly, the fees are waived with direct deposit.

Yes, I know the sign up bonus is on the Anywhere Account. My point: open the Anywhere Account, use it, discover how good Firstbank can be, and then when you get close to the 1 year anniversary, you can go online and upgrade your account to the Premier Checking. With direct deposit of at least $1,000 per statement period, there are no monthly fees and the annual debit card and line of credit fee are waived. 

I learned this last year after banking with them for 13 years.....ugh. That has been my biggest complaint with Firstbank...I spoke to several employees about the ridiculousness of the debit card fee over the years and not one of them ever mentioned the Premier Checking to me. Not even when I called to close my debit card to avoid the fee. But overall they are a good bank. It has saddened me in recent years that they have "de-Colorado-ized" the bank ever since they made the very strange decision to move into the Phoenix area. I also really, really hate their new vertical debit and credit cards. But that's just me being picky. 

I am also disappointed in myself for stopping by MyFico today and logging in for the first time in a few months just so I could tell you this. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... I am also disappointed in myself for stopping by MyFico today and logging in for the first time in a few months just so I could tell you this. 

Some of us are thankful -- that's great info. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is what Firstbank doesn't really tell you....the Premier Checking account waives the annual fee on both the Visa debit and overdraft line of credit (if you have one). (Yes, I know the bonus is on Anywhere Account, keep reading). 

They like to promote the fact that if you keep at least $2,500 in the Premier account, you will earn interest. It creates an illusion that you HAVE to keep $2,500.00 in the account to avoid fees. You don't. As long as you have a $1,000 direct deposit each statement period, the account is fee-free. You won't earn interest if the balance falls below $2,500 (which, currently is a paltry 0.01%) but more importantly, the fees are waived with direct deposit.

Yes, I know the sign up bonus is on the Anywhere Account. My point: open the Anywhere Account, use it, discover how good Firstbank can be, and then when you get close to the 1 year anniversary, you can go online and upgrade your account to the Premier Checking. With direct deposit of at least $1,000 per statement period, there are no monthly fees and the annual debit card and line of credit fee are waived. 

I learned this last year after banking with them for 13 years.....ugh. That has been my biggest complaint with Firstbank...I spoke to several employees about the ridiculousness of the debit card fee over the years and not one of them ever mentioned the Premier Checking to me. Not even when I called to close my debit card to avoid the fee. But overall they are a good bank. It has saddened me in recent years that they have "de-Colorado-ized" the bank ever since they made the very strange decision to move into the Phoenix area. I also really, really hate their new vertical debit and credit cards. But that's just me being picky. 

I am also disappointed in myself for stopping by MyFico today and logging in for the first time in a few months just so I could tell you this. 

I'm actually thankful for the info. I need to get on them again about converting my Bloom package. If they can convert my checking to Premier and savings to a regular savings, I can get overdraft protection and that would enable me to stop using NFCU. I also thought that $2500 was the minimum balance. They get my direct deposit and have for years so this would be a no fee option for me. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

$300 you say? Hmmm....

Free if you DD $1K per cycle you say? Hmm..

I don't see the downside.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.