Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardship Programs

tag
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Hardship Programs

I helped a family member save 350/mo in monthly payments and helped there credit score

they called me asking about a consolidation loan.... (im the family guru in finance)

They were running 30 days past due on there credit accounts ....   never enough to make the payments on all of the accounts.   All of the accounts were 27-29% apr   ... they has been paying minimums for years   20k balances  

b/c they used all $$ from pay to make minimums... they then used the cards to make ends meat

I told them to call synchrony credit soltions and ask for a hardship program... explain the income is less than when she got the cards... and they offered her the 60 month 0% apr plan.   brought all her accounts current and new lower 60 month payoff amount.  if she owed $1000 --> payment is 16 a month

Also had them ask the same of Citi, and Capital One.  Citi granted the same as synchrony... Capital One offered a lower interest for 5 years 5.99

this saved them 350/month!!   Now they can pay it down... at almost 0%       Thats better than a consolidation loan!

YES - the accounts are closed.... NO it didnt hurt her credit...  (it actually helped  brought everything current)..and lowered DTI monthly.

As a bonus... i was able to get them into Navy Fed via Skipped Generation.      Told her to give it 6 months before applying for anything... start paying OFF the debt...  but doors open for better times ahead.

If you do anything... look at maybe refi your home to save there.

Also told them about her car loan... she can see if they offer a skip a payment or two  (they put the payment at the END of the loan...)  but just so they can catch up...

They are actually nearing retirement age... and If she was unable to get the hardship program I was going to recommend Ch7 BK... as they would qualify...   and they shouldn't be paying debt... they should be saving for retirement....    However since they got the 0%  give it 6 months to how they perform under this.... and if it still proves difficult PLAN B

Credit Card/LoanCreditor
Capital One MCCapital One
Capital One MCCapital One
KohlsCapital One
SearsCiti
ShellCiti
Home DepotCiti
Synchrony HomeSynchrony
CardisSynchrony
PenneysSynchrony
Care CreditSynchrony
LowesSynchrony
WalmartSynchrony (Moving to Capital One in June)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Hardship Programs

Wow. Kudos to you for being a lifesaver for your relatives in a sea of drowning debt.

And thanks a million for sharing this and all of the data points. I had heard of hardship programs but these are absolutely amazing!

Thank goodness for these programs too because thwarting having to file BK is a
wonderful thing.

Again, thank you for sharing.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hardship Programs

I didn't know this existed and it may be a easy way to.assist.my.parents 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.