cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deposit $$ into Navy Federal Savings without having to call?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: How to deposit $$ into Navy Federal Savings without having to call?

Just to add a data point, I have no issues pushing money to my NFCU share (savings) account from USAA, but you can't do an ACH pull from a NFCU savings account.

Also, other people have reported that anytime you try to do an ACH pull (of any type, bill pay, etc.) from a NFCU share/savings account NFCU gets really unhappy (if it goes through at all).  They expect you to use a checking account for pull transactions, which makes sense.

Finally, I've not tried it, but others who have used a CO-OP ATM to make a cash deposit into a NFCU account (of any type) have reported that there's a five day hold - even for cash.  I would only recommend this as a last-resort (or if funds availability isn't an issue).

Message 31 of 39
collics
Established Contributor

I know this topic is rather old now, but I transfer money between two different banks by using two cash app accounts.

One has Bank 1 debit card and the other Bank 2 debit card for instant transfer/deposit.

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 32 of 39
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Navy doesn't participate in Co-op Branch Sharing... and for some reason does NOT seem to particpate in one of the credit union networks that accepts Cash/Check deposits at selected ATMs with cash/check acceptors... its as if they opted-out of this feature, or its avalible only on the other popular CU atm network (AllPoint or possibly SUM)  ....Ran into this recently trying to find a place that would accept Navy Deposits via ATM for someone I know... HFCU and MIT worked at a known deposit accepting bank when NFCU did not..but oddly NFCU could withdraw from one of the said ATMS however,  I was the guinea pig for this ...  

For the record .. Century Bank does NOT accept NFCU deposits..  but Hanscom and MIT works... from the ATM 

Transportation CU does accept NFCU deposits by envelope..but its one transaction per envelope/check... and 5-7 day processing and cash deposits.. 

USAlliance allows for NFCU withdrawals only, but have used them before for HFCU withdrawals ... havent tried MIT with them

Also navy freezes you from remote check deposit by app, for 30 days after creating the account... the rep was able to waive this requirement by phone

-J

Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since starting this thread, and after having a Navy account for awhile now, I have found the easiest way to deposit $ without having to call is to use mobile deposit.

I just write myself a check from my external account, take a picture front and back, and use the app to deposit it. Works like a charm. I also transfer my cashback from my credit card to my Navy savings through the app.
Message 34 of 39
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@collics wrote:

I know this topic is rather old now, but I transfer money between two different banks by using two cash app accounts.

One has Bank 1 debit card and the other Bank 2 debit card for instant transfer/deposit.

Current data points are always welcomed. Thank you. 😃

Message 35 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that deposit checks on mobile is pretty handy. Though the easiest method for me, as has probably already been said somewhere. Transfer the funds from my NFCU CC into my account, then pay it back with my external account.

Message 36 of 39
collics
Established Contributor

Still new to NFCU.

Tested out Zelle since they and one of my other banks Cap One 360 are both partners.

Initiated a test $1 transfer Friday 12/27. Nfcu said availability today....still not in the account.

Still waiting on my debit card to try cash app as I do my other bank accounts.
BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 37 of 39
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@collics wrote:
Still new to NFCU.

Tested out Zelle since they and one of my other banks Cap One 360 are both partners.

Initiated a test $1 transfer Friday 12/27. Nfcu said availability today....still not in the account.

Still waiting on my debit card to try cash app as I do my other bank accounts.

That's concerning about Zelle... when I use it to move money between USAA and Wells Fargo in either direction it takes only a few seconds.  Same for when I send money to family members.

The only time I had a delay like what you experienced was the first time I sent a large(ish) amount to a new recipient; hopefully that's also the cause of your delay and from here on out it will be instant for you as well.

Once you see the Zelle transfer post, you might consider trying another $1 transfer to see if there's still a delay.

Message 38 of 39
Pit-Smoker
Regular Contributor

Unlike some, I guess I don't find this to be as much of an annoyance?  E.g., I wouldn't want any Bank B to pull funds from any Bank A in most circumstances.   I simply go into my Bank A mobile app and PUSH Money to NFCU.  It takes a couple of days and I'm charged $3.00 for the privilege.  However, it works and it's clean. I've also done it as a periodic auto withdrawal from Bank A. (Biweekly upon pay.)   

Now, I have a Direct Deposit set up to shift some funds into NFCU, reducing my need for this transfer.  

In retrospect, I like @Kathyups method better anyway.     

Rebuilding is like smoking a brisket: it takes a lot of love, the right spice, and a ton of patience. You don't rush a brisket-- it goes low & slow. Sometimes, you need a crutch through the stall. In the end, the process matters.
2021 goals: 
1) GARDEN until I app for Mortgage.
2) Pay Down overall revolving debt aggressively and accountably, to under 30%, including my HELOC.  
3) Don't waste the gifted 0% time on the student loans. 
4) Ultimately, refi the house at non-usury terms. 

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.