Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insight High Yield Savings 5%?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Insight High Yield Savings 5%?

I'm looking to start moving my savings out of my low interest savings accounts and I think I've settled on Insight savings accounts:

https://financialpanther.com/insight-card-5-percent-interest-savings/

Same principal as NetSpend savings accounts but allows up to $5000 per account @ 5% APY. Seems like higher yields than CDs and relatively easy access to funds in an emergency.

I currently have around $12,000 I'm looking to move. Anyone have any experience with Insight or NetSpend savings accounts or any reason why CDs would be the better option? I'm new to this so, any advice is appreciated!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Insight High Yield Savings 5%?

I'm waiting on my 3rd Insight and 4th Netspend (H-E-B) in mail, I'm shooting for 4 Insights and 6 Netspends, setup is straight forward as described in that blog. What are your concerns?
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mainly concerns about the ease of setting up the account and then connecting feeder accounts, withdrawing funds, etc. What account/bank do you find is easier to transfer funds to and from? Just wanted to get an opinion from someone who has dealt with them about their experience.

Every one always talks about CDs when it comes to savings, but you never hear much about these types of accounts even though the return on them is so much greater, just wondering why and if there is a catch I don't know about maybe?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened Ally savings and checking just to run this operation like the blog suggested, no problems so far with trial deposits, transfer in or withdrawal. I have also linked my Synchrony savings without problems just for testing but Synchrony doesn't offer checking and is limited to maximum of 8 external accounts. Don't rush it, you can do 1 card of each (Netspend and Insight) at the same time but make sure the money is in the savings before you order the next card.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the Insight (silly pun intended Smiley Happy ). I was looking into Ally, so I'll go ahead and set up an account with them. And yes definitely 1 card at a time, will follow that advice as well.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to be clear, you can do 2 cards at a time, 1 from each company. Good luck.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ordered an Insight card as well.  It hasn't arrived in the mail yet.  Make sure you avoid the fees.  That is my concern about the account.  You will lose the interest you earn if you get hit with fees. 

That is one benefit to using a CD.  You set it and forget it until it matures.  That is not the case with the Insight Visa card.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as you're setup for "pay as you go" and you don't use the card, the only fee you need to worry about is the inactivity fee if the account is inactive for 90 days, setup the $1 auto ACH from Ally checking for every 2 month and you can forget it.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm hoping once everything gets set up it won't require much effort, but we shall see...

Message 9 of 13
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

wrote:

I ordered an Insight card as well.  It hasn't arrived in the mail yet.  Make sure you avoid the fees.  That is my concern about the account.  You will lose the interest you earn if you get hit with fees. 

That is one benefit to using a CD.  You set it and forget it until it matures.  That is not the case with the Insight Visa card.

I'm no Dave Ramsey, but you do not want to do CDs in a rising interest rate economy. With the recent tax cut and budget deal the federal deficit is expected to top $1 trillion this year. With the treasury having to borrow that much money interest rates are going nowhere but up. I think at least .5% this year. 

I've considering Insight as well. I have accounts with DCU, which pays 5% on up to $1k in savings. I haven't tried them yet, but Blue credit union also pays 5% up to $1k, they are apparently sensitive to more than 3 recent inquiries with Chex.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.