Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Eligibility Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Eligibility Question

My younger brother served in the army but we have no relationship. I know his birth date but not any of his other information.
He came back from Afghanistan and is not close to anyone. He wasn't super close to anyone before and now it's been several years.
How do I prove relationship? We have different last names.
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Eligibility Question

Yeah, that is going to be a problem. If he is already a member you could join but you would still need to know his account number. 

Once your family member joins Navy Federal, you'll be eligible as well. If they can't or don't want to become a member right now, you can still join. You may need one of the following documents from your family member:

• Driver's License with Veterans designation
  • State-issued Veteran ID Card
  • Military orders
  • Leave orders
  • Earning statement (LES)
  • Enlistment papers
  • Proof of direct deposit from DoD
  • Pension papers from DoD
  • DD 214
  • NGB 22

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gah! So they don't have a database?
Message 3 of 20
Medic981
Valued Contributor

You have to prove eligibility.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 4 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Give them a call and tell them your situation... they might have a suggestion that doesn't involve contacting your brother directly.

Message 5 of 20
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Op, any update?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not yet. I got called into work and haven't had time to call NFCU. Will try to call soon.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need his access number.
I think I'm just going to leave it. There are other options and when things tend to be too much of a struggle compared to others than sometimes it's best to leave it be.
Message 8 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

NFCU is a lender that can be well worth jumping through hoops.  (See joining the San Diego branch of the Navy League and all of the additional steps required to get in that way prior to that loophole closing.  I didn't get around to doing that prior to them stopping it (although I did join Navy League) but fortunately it was timed right around when they finally allowed veterans to join.)  I'd consider the Hang Up Call Again method.  Like UncleB said, they're usually pretty helpful in this regard.

Message 9 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

NFCU is a lender that can be well worth jumping through hoops.  (See joining the San Diego branch of the Navy League and all of the additional steps required to get in that way prior to that loophole closing.  I didn't get around to doing that prior to them stopping it (although I did join Navy League) but fortunately it was timed right around when they finally allowed veterans to join.)  I'd consider the Hang Up Call Again method.  Like UncleB said, they're usually pretty helpful in this regard.

+1 to all of the above.

I would definitely try the 'HUCA' (hang up call again) method on this, and I'm not one to usually be that persistent. 

That they asked for your brother's access number indicates they think he's a member ("access number" is what NFCU calls a membership number) so it sounds as if the rep you got wasn't completely clear on what you were asking.  If anything at times they are too eager to help people join (roommates, etc.) so I'm leaning toward thinking there was a miscommunication during your call.

Consider giving it one more try... they are genuinely worth it!  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.