Did you mean: 

NFCU and USAA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU and USAA

@Anonymous wrote:

@Radjim wrote:

I have not as they looked him up by his SSN. However, I keep seeing the commercials where it states "For military members and their families". The commercial does not state anything about needing to have previous products with them. Just ventng.....

I'm pretty sure the current way to join is to be in the military or be the immediate family of a military enlisted or veteran. How I got my membership was I signed my husband up for an account (he's an Army vet) and then gave myself an account through his.

Is there any way to find out if he used USAA bank previously (besides them running his SSN)? Can you ask your mother maybe? Or do you have any siblings? Or does he have any living siblings?

I don't know about USAA, but for NFCU - currently the ONLY ways to qualify is being Active Duty, Retired Veteran, or family member of either of those, or family member of a CURRENT NFCU member regardless of the members military status. I have been told by them that they are currently reviewing the possiblility of opening up to all veterans. Its frustrating that they won't even re-open accounts for prior members.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a member of USAA and NFCU.  I have been with USAA for some time (ove 20 years for their insurance products) and recently got a secured card from them.  I am trying to recover from a lengthy divorce process (3 years to get the divorce) and all the fallout from that.  You mentioned after 2 months you were appoved for an unsecured card with a $7K limit.  I would love to  get a NFCU or unsecured card from USAA, but my scores are only in the mid 600s.  Do you think I could  get a card from either or should I wait a lite longer?  I would have had my secured card a year in June.  Do you know which bureau either pull?  I am a resident of Illinois and I know it varies sometimes depending on where you live.

Message 12 of 21
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

One other way into NFCU is if you are a "household member" of someone with a membership.

I went to get accts for my sons.  Both have a different last name from me so the fact that I am their mother is not obvious.  Both boys still use my address as their address.  The lady at the membership desk said that I didn't need to prove that I am their mom since they are "household members" and those qualify.  So, if your SO is a member, you can be.

Anyway, I know this doesn't apply to OP, Just thought I would share for those who may have a way in they didn't realize.  Smiley Happy

And yes, it is sad but true.  If your military parent was not a USAA member, you can't get in.  As well as, you have to be retired or active duty or fam thereof in order to get a NFCU acct.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love USAA for so many reasons...but other things really piss me off. I have been told if I remarry I lose all of my accounts. They are annoying sometimes.
Message 14 of 21
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Never heard that before....  I'd check that out before I believed it.

It doesn't matter for me....dad is retired AF that got me my first USAA insurance acct, I am an AF vet and had USAA while in the service and I am currently married to retired Army who has USAA, so I had 3 doors in.  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh. That's a valid point. My dad was in 28 years and retired in 2008. So I could always keep my accounts under him.

I just found it ridiculous that if I remarry I lose all my accounts. I already lose my husband's retirement/health insurance/gi bill and VA loan if I remarry. Which I also find ridiculous.
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were entitled to your own account because you had been in it long enough with your ex husband, it's crazy to say remarrying disqualifies you. I was told because we were married 23 years I was eligible for my own account, so if it's mine remarrying shouldn't matter.  Yes before you were in because of him, but the account was also in his name.  If I have a member number of my own, it should no longer be linked to him.  I would ask again and have them explain why.  It's a terrible policy if that's the case and they can save money with all these commercials for joining I see lately if anybod just can't use them.  

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, if household members qualify why wouldn't a spouse be considered a household member?  Why would you all of a sudden be ineligible?

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called today.

I am only eligible as long as I am an unremarried widow.

So yeah. If I ever want to remarry I will have to change my rentals, cars, home, personal property and PUP insurance policies, 3 bank accounts, credit cards and brokerage accounts. Lovely.

I guess it's a good thing I'm never getting married. Ha!

"Hi...you seem lovely...but I love USAA so I'm never getting married!"
Message 19 of 21
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

You can always do that which many SS recipients do..... get "marrried" in their church with no recorded marriage with the state.  You keep all your bene's that way. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.