Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal - NLSU Excluded

tag
Arago
New Contributor

Navy Federal - NLSU Excluded

Called Navy Federal 3 times, 3 reps, all said that NLSU membership is a no go.  One laughed at me and acted like I was a used car salesman.  Said their coporate office is reviewing this and has suspended all applications in the mean time.  What now?  Sooooo disappointed.  

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal - NLSU Excluded

Wonder how much increase of apps, credit cards and CLOC they've had since the Navy League by pass became known and popular. Guess times are changing
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I signed up for NLSD this week, took my email excepting me with 25 dollar membership fee paid into branch. They faxed it to dept. said 7 day process. I called next day, rep gave me Documents email, I emailed app email photo id ss card. Called back 1 hour rep got my access # funded my accounts applied for cash reward visa, came back low SL 2100, app'd CLOC asked for 15000, bam instant approval. So this was yesterday. Happy to be in Navy And Penfed! Hope this helps.
Message 4 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Arago wrote:

Called Navy Federal 3 times, 3 reps, all said that NLSU membership is a no go.  One laughed at me and acted like I was a used car salesman.  Said their coporate office is reviewing this and has suspended all applications in the mean time.  What now?  Sooooo disappointed.  

If this is accurate it's truly unfortunate.  (Note that I'm not questioning your authenticity, only that of the CSRs you have dealt with.)

Has anybody else using NLUS as their path to NFCU membership been turned away?

(This is one time where I would love to have no responses to my question.)

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a respnse I recieved from the NFCU facebook page.  The Navy League of United States San Diego Council is not in our primary field of membership as defined by the National Credit Union Administration. Our primary field of membership includes individuals with the common bond is with the Department of Defense. In 2010 USA Federal Credit Union was merged with Navy Federal at the request of the National Credit Union Administration. As part of the due diligence with merger, Navy Federal was asked to continue to accept USA Federal Credit Union's Charter which includes the Navy League of United States San Diego Council. If someone wants to join that is eligible through the Navy League of United States San Diego Council, they must fill out a paper application. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Message 6 of 24
Prosper777
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a respnse I recieved from the NFCU facebook page.  The Navy League of United States San Diego Council is not in our primary field of membership as defined by the National Credit Union Administration. Our primary field of membership includes individuals with the common bond is with the Department of Defense. In 2010 USA Federal Credit Union was merged with Navy Federal at the request of the National Credit Union Administration. As part of the due diligence with merger, Navy Federal was asked to continue to accept USA Federal Credit Union's Charter which includes the Navy League of United States San Diego Council. If someone wants to join that is eligible through the Navy League of United States San Diego Council, they must fill out a paper application. Let us know if you have additional questions.

From what I can gather by this message is that anyone can still join via Navy League San Diego Council as long as you fill out a paper application and make sure you write SAN DIEGO Council on it and keep a copy for your records. They have to honor the merger deal!

Message 7 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Prosper777 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

By what I can gather by this message is that anyone can still join via Navy League San Diego Council as long as you fill out a paper application and make sure you write SAN DIEGO Council on it and keep a copy for your records. They have to honor the merger deal!

That is my take as well.  Smiley Happy

For a while now I've been encouraging folks to "keep it simple" and use a paper application/snail mail if they are using NLUS as their path to NFCU membership, and this Facebook response would seem to reinforce that.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you want the path of least resistance you'll do best to allow NFCU's in-place processes to work.  This isn't to say that it's impossible to 'shoe-horn' in an app via branch, fax, etc. - depending on the CSR that gets the application sometimes they are able to make it work - but it's clearly YMMV at best.  grandpa.gif

Message 8 of 24
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Arago wrote:

Arago,

Don't get disappointed, just yet. NFCU is still accepting and approving membership requests from the Navy League-San Diego. You have fill the application and send it in with all the support ducoments. The rep I spoke with did mention that NFCU is reevaluating Navy League and BAE new membership applications. There has been a lot a fraud recently with the increased number of applications.

If you want to join, I would do know. I would send a copy of everything and be completely honest on your app. 

It's been my expiereince with NFCU that they would just like a government agency. To get what you want, you have to play 100% by their rules and be super nice.

Guyatthebeach

Message 9 of 24
Prosper777
Valued Member

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

The rep I spoke with did mention that NFCU is reevaluating Navy League and BAE new membership applications. There has been a lot a fraud recently with the increased number of applications.

It's beyond me why would a rep say that to anyone. I'm not doubting you at all, I'm just baffled by this type of interaction. And what type of fraud could possibly go through their barrage of bureaucracy, since they ask you for all of your documents, many times over?!?

It seems to me that some of them are jealous that the good news are spreading like wildfire. We should all just enjoy the benefits and be happy and help one another IMO. Everyone should continue to apply through the Navy League San Diego Council and get to Navy Federal.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.