Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal denial membership

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal denial membership

So I applied to Navy Federal for a membership then I got an email to send in verifying document so I uploaded my photo ID and my vehicle registration both documents had my correct first middle and last name and current address they denied me I called them on the phone and spoke to the security team and they said they couldn't verify my identity and that I had to file an appeal but they did do a soft pull on my Equifax credit report so I don't understand how they couldn't verify my identity so I have done the security form appeal this time I sent in my passport and a utility bill is there something I'm doing wrong and if I get denied for the appeal how long should I wait to try to reapply again

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Navy Federal denial membership

Message 2 of 9
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I applied to Navy Federal for a membership then I got an email to send in verifying document so I uploaded my photo ID and my vehicle registration both documents had my correct first middle and last name and current address they denied me I called them on the phone and spoke to the security team and they said they couldn't verify my identity and that I had to file an appeal but they did do a soft pull on my Equifax credit report so I don't understand how they couldn't verify my identity so I have done the security form appeal this time I sent in my passport and a utility bill is there something I'm doing wrong and if I get denied for the appeal how long should I wait to try to reapply again

The same thing happened to me. For me, it wasn't a memebership qualification issue. They would simply say you don't meet the qualifications to be a member instead of asking you for identity verification. 

There may be a glitch of some kind in their identity verification SOP. Right now, you're stuck in waiting mode. I sent in an appeals form as well and they took all of 2.5 weeks to tell me to re-apply. lol  So, I plan on applying next time in person in a branch. 

For anyone considering joing NFCU, if you live near a branch, some are open on Saturday, apply in person. sending in two forms of identification doesn't seem to be enough to get you out of their identity verification fraud jail. 

If you don't live near a branch, apply over the phone. At least you can answer any questions they have at the "front door."

I have not had this experience joinging any other bank or CU online. NFCU may be having issues or they have had to deal with a lot of fraud and are super strict on documentation. 

Message 3 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Probably best to Apply in a local NFCU branch, if you have that option?

Make sure to take as many forms of ID as possible, also a few Utility bills in your name.

Also maybe your car registration.

Message 4 of 9
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Make sure to take as many forms of ID as possible, also a few Utility bills in your name.

...birth certificate, high school yearbook, letter from your senator, blood sample, family tree, etc. etc. lol

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is what a rep told me that they are useing a new identity verification system and she really dont understand how it works

Message 7 of 9
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is what a rep told me that they are useing a new identity verification system and she really dont understand how it works

Well it has some kinks. It needs to account for postal codes that override unincorporated towns. The 9 digit postal code is the same for two different town names. Insane. But true. 

Message 8 of 9
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Not knocking on/at any one...

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Taking these things and more and may sound funny but they can really help to skip a headache and a few weeks time, depending on the FI.  

I joined Navy over the phone in April of 2018 but 4.5 months later when I planned to apply for my first 2 products with them I did it in branch not knowing exactly what to expect.  I took everything listed above (3 forms of ID),   2 utility bills and 2 most recent pay stubs.  In addition to opening deposit accounts at 3 FI that year I grown accustomed (or addicted) to instant approvals and wished to continue on with the same (feeding the instant satisfaction addiction).  

I wanted to be approved and I wanted approvals for that same day I applied (CLOC and SSL) - it is a 45 minutse to the nearest branch and I really did not want to sulk on the ride home and I was nervous because i had planned to ask them for a CLOC that was higher than my biggest CL.  There was a small issue at first but I presented everything to Navy and was approved for everything I asked for about 1 hour later. Yay!   

Needless to say, I had a pleasant ride home!

Thanks to the info on these boards, low DTI (approximately 0%), @SouthJamaica and others contributing to the SSL thread. 👍

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.